Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2013, 12:35 AM   #1 
ashleigheperry

Amano shrimp in a 10G?

I can't find much info on these awesome shrimp and I need help!
I was considering getting a pair to go with my pair of male bettas in my divided 10G. One on each side. Do they need to be kept in groups? I saw they can be but not that it was needed. Obviously if that's the case then I'll get a group for my community tank instead. And a group ghost shrimp for the 10G. Thanks for the help in advance!
ashleigheperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #2 
itzBlitz

heres info i found online:
http://www.planetinverts.com/Amano%20Shrimp.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6YnLZqqejs
ive also read heavy bio load. google or bing, maybe lfs more info.
itzBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Each Betta is different in its aggression level toward tank mates. You could always put one on each side of the divided tank and if it didn't work, move to the community. You could have two on each side if you wished with no problem.

Be aware Amanos are great escape artists so make sure your top is tight.

Shrimp are fun to watch; I think you'll enjoy them in whichever tank.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #4 
ashleigheperry

Thanks for the help guys - glad to hear it should work out as long as my bettas aren't too frisky. They are relatively enthusiastic flarers when they can see each other so I'll have to keep an eye on them. I was thinking about taking them out for the next water change and then putting them in the opposite side of the tank at the same time as I put the shrimp in (one on each side). That way they'll be establishing new territory at the same time. Hmm.

And of course I can definitely always move the shrimp to the community tank which is understocked at the moment. I don't think bioload will be an issue in my 10G, because I have a strong (baffled) filter on it and I do weekly water changes, but I'll make sure I'm testing every day when they're added.

I've actually heard the opposite, that they have a small bio load for their size, so I'll definitely have to do some more research. I've read through their info on a ton of sites and it's just not complete info. Maybe Bing will have the answer. And I'll be feeding algae flakes and bloodworms (maybe with some zucchini every now and again). Right now my betta are eating bloodworms and high quality pellet food. My lid is tight but there is a very large opening for the heater that I'll have to cover - thanks for reminding me that they're good at escaping! Wish me luck! Any additional advice and info is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Turn the tank lights off when you add tank mates and leave them off for 20 minutes. That gives the shrimp time to settle. I think switching sides so the Bettas are in "new" territory is a smart idea. I have Red Cherry Shrimp (RCS) and Blue Velvet Shrimp with my Bettas and I always introduce in the dark.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #6 
ashleigheperry

I've heard the same thing from other users and I'll definitely keep it in mind! I never would have thought to keep the lights off. c:

Now I just have to decide if I want one pair of shrimp or two hmmm.