Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #1 
Nibblez

Planning to breed

I was looking into breeding and i was thinking that i would like to get just a pair and just breed that pair alone. So since i am limiting myself to one pair, im trying to plan roughly what kind of spawn i want. I just got myself a black dragonscale halfmoon but i am aiming to get a batch of black elephant ear halfmoons, i do not mind if they were variants of blacks. Would that be possible if i tried to look for a black EE female and cross breed them?

Last edited by Nibblez; 05-13-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #2 
Nibblez

just took a quick snap of him, still quite young, i reckon he is around 4 months old or so?
Old 05-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #3 
Myates

What do you mean by cross breed? EE is just a deformity when it comes down to it.. there are no cross breeding when breeding betta splendens - all the tail/fin types are the same species.

As for the black EEs - Yeah, lots of people want them, there was a male on auction recently as the "first black EE" that was listed for over a thousand dollars.. very tempting.. but it took that breeder a very long time to achieve that, and won't be simple as finding a black EE girl (if you happen to find one, expect to easily spend $1500+ on her) and placing her with your black boy won't bring out black EEs.
EE is a very very recessive gene, and if only one parent is an EE you are looking at not having any EE fry.. breeding fry back to the mom you may have some.. but there is a low chance that the offspring will have the EE gene, etc.

Best options for breeding EEs is to have both parents be EEs.. why for the longest time (and even still today for the most part), EEs aren't in that big of a variety of colors - as it's hard to get any from a non-EExEE spawn, etc.

It's early.. so hoping I come through as understandable.. basically if you want EEs, both parents should be EEs. If you want black EEs, see if that breeder still has his black EE and ask for a sibling (sibling most likely won't be black) and end up spending almost $2k for the pair. And then hope for the best..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #4 
Nibblez

:P my bad, just meant if i took the two and breed them together. I see what you mean, will be a very long shot or an incredibly long process to get a black EE. So that means that even if i try with a different coloured EE female, i would end up getting a mix of the 2 colours and no EE. Might look into what other female to get since this looks impossible to get.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #5 
Myates

Well.. it depends on how badly you want it. If you really want to breed EEs, then I say get a mix of males and females of various colors and then just go for it.. see what you get from them. I've been surprised by what I've gotten from spawns - so who knows, you may get the first copper EE, etc. Yours looks like there is copper in him, so why not try with a blue or a salamander EE girl and see what you get? Then try breeding a male offspring back with the female EE mother to try to strengthen the EE gene, etc.

You may not end up with any black EEs at first, but you could easily end up with some very pretty and unique EEs down the road a few generations :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #6 
Nibblez

Sounds like it might be worth a shot. I'll see what females pop up and hopefully find a few that compliment my new boy. Thanks for the info, never really knew EEs were that hard to come by.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #7 
Nibblez

what would i get if i breed him with this female, says she is a plakat. So which is the more dominant gene, halfmoon plakat or the normal halfmoon?
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...hmp&1368592380

Any idea also if i tried white female with my male?
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1368668409
Old 05-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

You would get a nice mi of fry with either girl. Mixing hmpk with hm will give you long finned hm in f1.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #9 
trilobite

I like the first girl better than the second.She has a nicer body to complement the male.
First gen will not give you dragons or EE but bro x sis crosses will fix that for you. It is possible to get EE in F2. Youll probably also get some hmpk in F2 as well unless the male is also carrying pk.
Good luck on your goal! It will be very fun creating them
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #10 
Nibblez

Thanks for the help and advice, really looking forward to it, already contacted the transhipper regarding the shipping matters. It really hard to find many nice bettas around here in australia, i've only seen 2 EEs here in sydney so far. Females of any kind are even harder to find. Made me think about breeding.