Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2013, 06:07 AM   #1 
Juditko

Sigh. So I guess we're under "other fish" now...

Our betta died despite valiant efforts to save him (thanks to those who helped), and after some considerations of time constraints and source water chemistry, we now have the dreaded OTHER FISH in our tank. (My little girl says, "Buzz gone?")

So, at the moment, we are at five rasboras and two long finned white tetras. Planning on adding 1-3 more long finned black tetras when they arrive at LPS. (We tried some neons, to no avail, as they died off one per day even after nearly two hours of gentle acclimation.) The tank is only a ten gallon, and factoring in all the variables (filters etc) Aquaadvisor has us at 93% stocked if we ended up with a total of five long finned tetras, which is what it recommends for a shoal. I'm going to try one, then add the other two only if it looks like they really need it, as I would rather stay understocked. So far everybody looks content. The long finned whites are surely pretty.

Sure missing the betta scene, but for the moment going to have to go with what's hardy and able to handle source water with an ammonia level.

Question: are there any singular fish out there (peaceful community) that work in a ten gallon that don't require 5-6 fish to shoal? The goal here is just to have a pleasing tank with healthy fish. If we could arrive at bottom, middle, and upper dwellers AND have pretty colors...well, that would be too good to ask, especially in a ten gal.

Has anybody else out there backed off of bettas due to source water or time constraints because of the care involved? AKA Can I still be on the betta forum and not have a betta?
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:10 AM   #2 
Juditko

Oh, and yes, I use Seachem Prime. PH is dark purple/violet on API Master test kit. I've read about tannins and driftwood and...just not able, because of time constraints, to do all that right now, and I don't want to have another betta struggle through with me struggling to help but unable...
Old 06-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

Honestly with water like that I'd get an RO unit. I've heard bad stories about Texas water. Sometimes there is little you can do when the water is just that bad. I would have expected a betta to fare better in the water than tetra, tho. Tetra can be rather sensitive to ammonia. Have you tried live plants to help with the ammonia?

As to your original question, there is nothing else you should/could add to that tank. Any fish that could handle the ammonia level in that tank needs a shoal. And two shoals in a 10 gal is pushing it. Aqadvisor is just a tool, and personally I feel like all of those fish should be in a larger tank.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #4 
Juditko

I have three marimo moss balls in the tank.

The water is great to drink. Best I've ever had. But I'm not a fish. :/

And to be truthful I am not certain it was water that was our betta's demise...it could have been bad stock. It seemed like it was always something...three mild cases of fin rot since December even with religious water changes as recommended, etc. I just want to enjoy my kid more and have her enjoy some fish without me being so stressed out about it.

I guess we need to just stick with what we've got: fish with no names! I do miss the betta personality though. He was great.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-24-2013, 09:28 PM   #5 
Juditko

Has anyone else here just taken a break from bettas or even decided a betta was not the fish for them?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 01:15 AM   #6 
Dwarden3

I almost did after I got a betta, had him for a day, went on a 1 night trip, came back and he was dead. It was kinda heart breaking. But I pushed through and got Sigmund. I think a betta is a good fish for anyone.

Btw, what are your water parameters in TX?
Dwarden3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

Three marimos isn't going to do much. They are a slow-growing plant. You want things like water sprite, frogbit, and dwarf water lettuce. Fast-growing plants suck up ammonia very fast.

I haven't taken a break from bettas, but I have downsized my collection. I still love them, but I also love other types of fish, too. Space is at a premium so the bettas had to go. There are lots of other fish in the world (lol terrible pun).
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:00 AM   #8 
Juditko

We have silk plants as I wasn't prepared to take on a planted tank. I added the marimos just because I read that they help.

The source water from the tap has mid-level ammonia (middle green shades, depending on the day) on the API master test kit and high PH around 8.2. It's really a testimony to Prime I suppose that weekly tests on the aquarium itself only show .25 or less consistent ammonia. (Nitrites/nitrates fine.) I've read through the ammonia/ammonium issues so I know that may be involved. The mom and pop LPS here sells RO water for bettas in large jugs; that may or may not be a clue.

What actually may be more of an issue is our choices for bettas in the local areas...Wal or Pets mart. It could be that Mr. Buzz did very well for us, given his stock/breeding/birth/fate/crossed stars/whatever. He was our first betta. The only thing that would direct me toward a water problem is that he had three different bouts with fin rot since December...which is normally a water quality/husbandry issue...but with weekly almost 80% water changes and gravel vacs in a ten gallon (I went with more than 50 to address ammonia) and careful acclimation each time, I have a difficult time believing we weren't doing enough to maintain a clean scene. When Buzz was sick, some of the experienced handlers here seemed to think his humble beginnings may have been more of the issue than the water.

Maybe I'm only on a betta break, but I've got to admit, we are surely enjoying the rasboras (5) and the long finned white tetras (2) who at the moment appear to be a lot less care than Buzz was. At this point, I would like to add one other long finned tetra for a total of 3 to make the original 2 a little more comfortable and see if that's enough. That would have us 80% stocked, with plenty of fish in the tank for everyone to enjoy.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #9 
Laki

Yes you can hang around on the forum without a betta! (it will encourage you to get another pretty quick though ;) ) The mother site tropicalfishkeeping.com owns this one and there you can log in with the same ID and get on threads about other fish.

I second that you should look into faster growing plants to gobble up the ammonia. If your tank has a moderate light you can add anacharis, java fern, water wisteria and other fast growing stem plants.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #10 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juditko View Post
Has anyone else here just taken a break from bettas or even decided a betta was not the fish for them?
Posted via Mobile Device
You should check out the rest of the tropicalfishkeeping forum

Izzy - space is a premium so the fish that require the least amount of space have to go - that's funny

Last edited by jaysee; 06-27-2013 at 08:43 AM.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote