Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #1 
bettaman12

Betta Passing... :cry:

I am pretty upset right now! I forgot to post about this when it happened but now I am. I went on a 11 day long vacation with my family and asked a neighbor to take care of my brand new little betta in my 2.5 gallon tank (feeding, treating him because he had severe fin rot from being in the dirty cup at PETCO). I'm not really fond of small tanks because they require a lot of maintenance but that is all i was allowed to get at the time(trying to convince my parents to let me buy a 25 gallon).I have an 8 gallon I used to use but it has a leak and i never got around to sealing it. When I got back though, it was obvious that my neighbor completely forgot to feed my unnamed betta, let alone even check on him.
He had passed away in the early days of my vacation because "sniff"
his body was in the very early stages of decomposition with his skin falling off. I was disgusted at the sight of my brand new betta dead, starved to death, all because my neighbor "forgot to check". I removed him and drained the tank. I am now wondering how to properly clean all the surfaces of the tank for proper disinfecting before I make it a quarantine tank when I get my new 25 gallon. I want to be sure all residue and bacteria is gone. SIP Unnamed Betta!
bettaman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Just something to think about, Betta's can survive a month or so without food so I doubt it was the not feeding him that killed him.

I never leave any of my friends or neighbors in care of my fish just because I know something like this would happen and my luck they would end up with some horrible disease so only family get's to take care of my fish. But all in the same, I'm sorry he died S.I.P. little guy, I hope he's happy swimming under the rainbow bridge :)

So for disinfecting, here are some steps.
  • Find some Clorox Bleach with no other additives.
  • Make a solution of 1 parts Bleach and 19 parts water in your tank after you take the decor out. You can let it sit for about an hour or so, which ever you feel comfortable with. (For extreme cases I let this process span over a few days but this was just death by fin rot most likely, but never bad to be on the safe side)
  • After that, pour of the solution, rinse out with tap water until you no longer smell the bleach.
  • After that I usually fill up with water again and pour in 4x the amount of conditioner and let that sit for a few hours to become tank friendly again.
  • I do the same thing with all my equipment, decor and other stuff that have come in contact with him.

You can also use white vinegar, swish that around your tank, I take a paper towel and soak up the excess and wipe down the walls of the tank. Again keep rinsing until you no longer smell vinegar.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #3 
bettaman12

Ok thank you!!!!!! so what about the filter and the heater? how do i clean those?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #4 
bettaman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Just something to think about, Betta's can survive a month or so without food so I doubt it was the not feeding him that killed him.
Oh wow a month! It must have been a disease or something.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

He might have already had some sort of disease before you got him, usually when I get a Betta, I will take it in when I know I won't be going on any trips or anything so that I know I will be there for when he/she gets sick.

There's a possibility he had Ich, or Velvet and you just didn't see it and sometimes (not always) but sometimes left untreated it can kill them. There is a host of other diseases out there that he could have been infected with and you wouldn't have seen it.

Also on that same not, make sure your heater (if you have one?) is working properly as well as if you are using the filter. Sometimes equipment can get faulty and sometimes when a heater shorts out it can fry your Betta. Just some ideas :)
Old 05-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #6 
bettaman12

Ok, I just checked the heater and it works properly and is not too hot. Thanks so much again lilnaugrim! You should be a Moderator. :)
Old 05-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Very welcome bettaman :) And lol, I'm all set without being a Mod ^^ I just like to help out any way I can and it makes me happy, but thank you.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #8 
Spike34

Sorry to read about your loss. It's horrible when you lose a fish and especially so when they have such a strong character (as most Bettas do).
Spike34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #9 
SnowySurface

Sorry for your loss. :(

When I go on vacation for longer than a week, I set up the temporary 1 gallon hospital tank at my Dad's house. That way he doesn't have to travel out of his way to watch my fish and it isn't as easy to forget. I prefer fish sitters who don't mind having my fish in their house while I'm gone.

Since I seriously doubt you'll never go on vacation again as long as you own fish, do you know anyone who doesn't mind having your fish in their home?

It's fine if the answer is no. I just wanted to suggest what has worked for me in the past. XD
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote