Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #1 
Hawtt

Not sure if filter is working

I have a small mini might filter that came with my 3.5 gal aquarium and I am not sure if its working, should I buy a new one? Reason I say this is because I see almost a thin film of stuff on the surface of the water and i see the tiniest particles floating in the water. I tested the water and it seems fine but I wanted to see what you guys thought first and I also wanted to ask if theres anything bad about getting a new filter because I heard that the new filter will somehow harm my betta (im new to bettas so im not sure)
Hawtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #2 
sandybottom
Reference Team

the thin film is probably oily protein from feeding. adding surface terbulence usually gets rid of this. since its a new filter, keep up on water changes and testing as your filter goes through cycling. until it cycles fully there will be ammonia and nitrite spikes that can endanger your fish. if you are unfamiliar with tank cycling there are some stickies you should read on this site. the mini might filters at 45 gal/hr which is great for a 3.5 gallon.the tiny particles could be a bacterial bloom or left over food.sometimes the water will get cloudy when you add a new filter.as long as the filter isn't making any weird noises and appears to be working correctly, i would just wait it out a little bit. just make sure you are assessing the fish daily and feed very sparingly at this point, so the water doesn't fowl on you. i would test the water either daily or every other day for ammo and nitrites.hope this helps.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #3 
Hawtt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybottom View Post
the thin film is probably oily protein from feeding. adding surface terbulence usually gets rid of this. since its a new filter, keep up on water changes and testing as your filter goes through cycling. until it cycles fully there will be ammonia and nitrite spikes that can endanger your fish. if you are unfamiliar with tank cycling there are some stickies you should read on this site. the mini might filters at 45 gal/hr which is great for a 3.5 gallon.the tiny particles could be a bacterial bloom or left over food.sometimes the water will get cloudy when you add a new filter.as long as the filter isn't making any weird noises and appears to be working correctly, i would just wait it out a little bit. just make sure you are assessing the fish daily and feed very sparingly at this point, so the water doesn't fowl on you. i would test the water either daily or every other day for ammo and nitrites.hope this helps.
Thanks for your reply, sorry for responding so late ive been really busy. Ive been keeping an eye on the fish and he seems to be happy and healthy but ive been doing water changes at 50% twice a week and my water still seems to be cloudy with a ton of particles in the water, i even spent alot of time trying to get as much as the particles out of the water I can with a fish scooper while I was doing the water change. I think at this point I may need a new filter.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:17 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Do you use a Siphon? The thing is, even in a small tank you need to siphon out the gravel otherwise you are going to get particles floating everywhere because it's not the filter's job to kick up the stuff, just filter it out if it can reach. But the filter can't do all the work, that's where you as the keeper comes in and has to take out the rest.

I also had this in my 10 gallon, oh also every time you do a water change, in some old tank water swish the filter cartridge around in it to get rid of some particles so that it won't get so clogged up. That could also be a problem. I do this weekly and have yet to change any of my cartridges in about 3-4 months.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #5 
Hawtt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Do you use a Siphon? The thing is, even in a small tank you need to siphon out the gravel otherwise you are going to get particles floating everywhere because it's not the filter's job to kick up the stuff, just filter it out if it can reach. But the filter can't do all the work, that's where you as the keeper comes in and has to take out the rest.

I also had this in my 10 gallon, oh also every time you do a water change, in some old tank water swish the filter cartridge around in it to get rid of some particles so that it won't get so clogged up. That could also be a problem. I do this weekly and have yet to change any of my cartridges in about 3-4 months.
Thanks for your reply, I tried to get a gravel siphon but when I went to petsmart they only had one for like a 100 gallon tank and im not sure where else I could get one in my town. Next time I change the water I will swish the cartidge around like you said, thanks for your help.