Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #1 
BettaFishFTW

Question Are a Betta and a Mystery Snail Compatible?

Hi guys! I was wondering if a betta and a mystery snail are compatible if the betta has been added first. My betta is in a 5 gal. tank by himself. I know that bettas are territorial so I'm just making sure they won't fight.
BettaFishFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #2 
Crowntails

It will be fine.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #3 
BettaFishFTW

Alright! Thanks for the info. Do you know a live plant a snail might like to graze/hide on? If so, thanks!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #4 
jaysee
Reference Team

I would expect it to be okay. There is the possibility that the betta might harass the snail by nipping at its antennae or stalks. A particularly aggressive betta might do that. Mystery (apple) snails are not that great at eating algae. Mystery snails may breed, as well.Nerites are another choice - they stay smaller, don't breed, eat algae, and are extremely well protected by their shells. There are different varieties of nerites you can get. For your tank size, a nerite is a better choice.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #5 
BettaFishFTW

Ok, my betta is not aggressive to other fish at all so we should have no problems there. Would one mystery snail do? I don't know if they are social or not.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #6 
Trunkzdbz

I have a 5 gallon tank and house Bettas and Gold Mystery Snails two actually and my Bettas co-exist just fine with the snails, also the snails are so cool when they are active climbing up the tank and they help keep the tank clean. Check out my tank pictures to see my Bettas and snails living happy together here's the link http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fishtanks.php
Trunkzdbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #7 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaFishFTW View Post
Ok, my betta is not aggressive to other fish at all so we should have no problems there. Would one mystery snail do? I don't know if they are social or not.
Depends on if you consider breeding to be social

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #8 
BettaFishFTW

Alright, I'll keep one snail in my betta tank, thanks for your help guys!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #9 
Agent13
Reference Team

Yes.. they're fine. I have a golden mystery snail in my son 5 gallon betta tank an ivory with my daughters in a 4 gallon and my blue with mine in a 6 gallon. They are messy and I like to clean the gravel a bit more now that I hv them but they seem to entertain the Bettas to some degree. They dont clean the tank but they are a fun addition. My daughter marble HM did at first nip the snai but since then they've lived peacefully and no other incedents from the other tanks. (funny fact though... My sons betta decided the day he got a snail that he was ready to breed...his first bubble nest and has since then bubble nested... me thinks I have yet another confused Betta lmao!)

Last edited by Agent13; 05-13-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:52 PM   #10 
Kithy

Every betta is different so keep that in mind. If you value your snail then I would suggest monitoring them for a few days or longer. If you don't mind much then at the very worst case your betta gets a snack.

I had one mystery snail who died mysteriously (pun!) so I bought a second after he tore his fins into shreds thinking he was lonely. Got little Appletini and he devoured her. We only found her shell and her flap.
Kithy is online now   Reply With Quote