Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #1 
bettaluver14

Question How to QT Neon Tetras??

Hello!
Once my 10gal tank is done cycling, i am going to buy 3 more neon tetras to add but i would like to know how to and how long to QT 3 tetras...
i already have a tank, heater, and filter ready and food. But, also, this tank i am putting them in is going to be dry before i add water.... should i cycle it for 24 hours before adding the tetras and check the parameters for that tank? the tank i am using for them was recently used so maybe it'll be okay just to run it for 24hrs..?

maybe there is a link to a thread on how to QT tetras.....?

thanks and please reply <3
BL14
bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #2 
bniebetta

I think cycling for twenty four hours probably would be much of a cycle. I would recommend two weeks especially if they came from walmart. I don't usually worry about cycles when I am QTing because I have to do water changes so often anyway. :D
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #3 
jaysee
Reference Team

In order to properly quarantine new fish, they must be put in a tank that's cycled. The purpose of quarantining new fish is to isolate them for treatment, as well as to observe the fishs behavior for signs of problems that are not readily visible. If you expose them to the cycling process, it will be difficult to determine their true behavior. New fish must be made as comfortable as possible so that you can get a true reading on the fish.

Quarantine periods vary, by keeper, and even between species with the same keeper. The minimum should be 2 weeks. I quarantine new fish for a minimum of a month - often closer to two months. There is NO good that can come from rushing a fish into your show tank. Only bad things can happen. Lets take my 125 as an example. It's getting fully stocked - got to build up a few schools and add a couple more fish, but aside from that its probably 85% complete. The value of the fish in that tank exceeds $500 - I am VERY cautious about adding fish to that tank, because of what's at stake - the $$$ and the two years of progress.

If you are going to quarantine fish in a non cycled tank, then you better be prepared to do daily water changes. Your other option, assuming your main tank is cycled, is to transfer some filter media from the show tanks filter to the quarantine tanks filter. Transferring the established bacteria colony living on the media will give you an instant cycle. It may take up to a few days for the bacteria colony to catch up to the bioload of the new fish if you don't transfer enough media, but that's a minor inconvenience compared to starting from scratch on the cycle. One thing you can do to mitigate the gap is to not feed the fish for a few days. The last thing you need to do is add to the bioload by feeding.

Sent from Petguide.com App

Last edited by jaysee; 05-11-2013 at 03:29 PM.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #4 
bettaluver14

is it ok that i keep the tank running; like the heater and filter on acting like there are fish in it until i get them?? will that work to keep all the BBs in it and the temp good and comfy for them? i think that might be better to do that and keep an already cycled tank still running so it doesnt dry so i can put the fishies in right away...

i hope that works :3
and i'm thinking now about QT-ing them for 4 weeks now. but how? i forgot how to...? what stuff do i use to QT?
bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #5 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaluver14 View Post
is it ok that i keep the tank running; like the heater and filter on acting like there are fish in it until i get them?? will that work to keep all the BBs in it and the temp good and comfy for them? i think that might be better to do that and keep an already cycled tank still running so it doesnt dry so i can put the fishies in right away...

i hope that works :3
and i'm thinking now about QT-ing them for 4 weeks now. but how? i forgot how to...? what stuff do i use to QT?
I leave my quarantine tanks running continuously, though they can go weeks or even months between being used. However, I do have trumpet snails in all my tanks, so they may help that. Adding a snail wouldn't be a bad idea, though depending on if you have to medicate the fish, you may need to remove it. I do not remove my trumpet snails - they have survived every medication I've ever used, but a mystery snail or something may be more sensitive. Trumpet snails are hard to kill.

4 weeks is at the high end of what most people do, but I think it's totally reasonable. To quarantine fish, you just keep them isolated from the main stock so that you can observe them, and treat them if necessary. Some species have to be converted to whatever food you feed, so quarantine is the perfect place to do that. Neons are not in that category, but many wild fish are. I am more proactive about quarantining than most people. I treat every new fish for ich with heat while they are there. I turn the temp up to 88 degrees for 2 weeks. That ensures that they are ich free - ich can exist as a low level infestation, living in the gills out of sight, so just because the fish isn't showing spots doesn't mean that it's not carrying the parasite. After that I treat the fish with prazipro, for internal parasites. Many medications are harsh, but I have not found this to be. After that, I just watch the fish to make sure that it;s behaving as it should. My quarantine procedures are a bit extreme, compared to most, but like I said I like to make full use of that time.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #6 
bniebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
In order to properly quarantine new fish, they must be put in a tank that's cycled. The purpose of quarantining new fish is to isolate them for treatment, as well as to observe the fishs behavior for signs of problems that are not readily visible. If you expose them to the cycling process, it will be difficult to determine their true behavior. New fish must be made as comfortable as possible so that you can get a true reading on the fish. Sent from Petguide.com App

I disagree. Most people are unable to QT in a cycled environment unless they have multiple tanks at their disposal and a lot of equipment. Also, a full cycle is usually at its best when the BB has objects to cling to, things that are hard or unwise to have in the tank if you are medicating fish. Most of the QT containers I have seen have little to nothing in them. Also, many people find it either impossible or impractical to QT fish in a container that is actually large enough to even have a cycle. Unless you have a 5+ gallon you can't really do a cycle. If anything, your fish are more likely to get sick and display signs of illness in an uncycled environment. It seems to me that having perfect water params is more likely to hide an illness a fish may carry. I have rarely heard of people who are able to do cycled QTs, and I stand by what I said about not being able to cycle a tank in 24 hours. Unless you have a fully planted tank, this seems impossible. Mods, correct me if I am wrong. I was able to QT some of my sorority in cycled environments and their behavior in the permanent tank is radically different than it was in quarantine. I feel that physical signs of illness is a far better indication of their health (except for obvious lethargy or very strange behavior) than behavior.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #7 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniebetta View Post
I disagree. Most people are unable to QT in a cycled environment unless they have multiple tanks at their disposal and a lot of equipment. Also, a full cycle is usually at its best when the BB has objects to cling to, things that are hard or unwise to have in the tank if you are medicating fish. Most of the QT containers I have seen have little to nothing in them. Also, many people find it either impossible or impractical to QT fish in a container that is actually large enough to even have a cycle. Unless you have a 5+ gallon you can't really do a cycle. If anything, your fish are more likely to get sick and display signs of illness in an uncycled environment. It seems to me that having perfect water params is more likely to hide an illness a fish may carry. I have rarely heard of people who are able to do cycled QTs, and I stand by what I said about not being able to cycle a tank in 24 hours. Unless you have a fully planted tank, this seems impossible. Mods, correct me if I am wrong. I was able to QT some of my sorority in cycled environments and their behavior in the permanent tank is radically different than it was in quarantine. I feel that physical signs of illness is a far better indication of their health (except for obvious lethargy or very strange behavior) than behavior.
A quarantine container? Never heard of such a thing. The vast majority of the fish keeping world (that quarantines their fish) uses cycled quarantine tanks - actual fish tanks. Some keep them running 24/7, some only bring it out when they need it. Those that do the ladder move media from their main tanks filter to the quarantine tanks filter for an instant cycle. It's not magic. Any sized aquarium can maintain a cycle, especially when you transfer seeded media to it. It can be difficult to START a cycle in a tiny tank, that much is true. It is not impossible to keep things in the quarantine tank while you are medicating....you just don't take anything out. It's easy. Depending on the medication, you may not want to put good stuff in there, because it can get stained.

If you have rarely heard of people doing cycled quarantine tanks, then you need to broaden your horizons. Spend some time outside of the betta world. I don't mean to be harsh, but there's a whole big world of fish keeping out there of which you seem to be unaware. You can absolutely cycle a tank in 24 hours by adding seeded media to the filter, as I explained. That will cycle the tank in seconds, if you've moved enough media. I assure you that it is not impossible - people do it every day. That is how I've started all but one (the first one) of the 30 tanks I've had. I certainly hope you don't disregard what I'm telling you because I'm not a mod. There are many, MANY experienced fish keepers that have a wealth of information, who are not mods. And some mods are relatively inexperienced. Do some outside research - it's no secret, there is no shortage of people that will confirm what I'm saying.

Quarantining new fish in an uncycled tank so that diseases manifest themselves is a backwards way to look at it. Fish can actually heal themselves of many ailments - they have an immune system just like we do. If they are provided a cycled tank with a low stress environment with good clean water, it can happen. I bet your bettas behavior was radically different in the show tank versus whatever container you had them in. The fact of the matter is that most peoples quarantine tanks are larger than the tanks that most betta keepers keep their fish in, so I can certainly understand your confusion.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #8 
bniebetta

The terminology is really not relevant on this issue so it's pointless to even argue about that. A container could be a tank, bucket, jar, etc, which people may use to QT. You do not HAVE to QT in a "tank". Seeding new tanks (containers, whatever) does not auto cycle. The BB still have to colonize and adjust to the params so unless you move enough filter media to crash your other tank, you do not have an auto cycle and your fish may still be subjected to slight param changes.

Because the original question was in context of a very specific forum, I am not incorrect by my response that is applicable to that context, meaning that unless you are breeding or have a ton of fish, it is unlikely that a person on that particular forum has the kind of resources available to use the method you suggest. Judging by the fact that it is only a few tetras and not more than ten suggests to me that there is a chance that this person MAY not have those kind of resources. I never suggested that it was a good idea to QT fish in a uncycled tanks "so that" diseases may manifest, I merely pointed out that diseases are MORE LIKELY to manifest in a slightly less than perfect environment. There is absolutely nothing wrong QTing in an uncycled environment as long as you monitor carefully and keep up with water changes. The fact that you assume that "most people" have larger quarantine tanks than main tanks is a little bit ridiculous. Unless you go and poll every fishkeeper of every scale and experience level, that is an incorrect assumption. I know of a great many people who choose not to do it this way and have healthy active aquariums. If you want to argue that, then go ahead and give us some credible statistics and studies.

And you are correct: being a mod does not mean having more legitimate information as much as having years of fish experience does not indicate correct information, obviously.

Just because my opinion is different than your does not mean that I am less informed, "confused", or wrong. I was merely stating my opinion for the questioner to compare with. If you want to continue to be condescending and combative, go right ahead. I am not intimidated at all.

Last edited by bniebetta; 05-11-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #9 
jaysee
Reference Team

Your opinion on cycling tanks with seeded media is uninformed. You don't think it's possible, when it is. Not only is it possible, it is THE recommended method on almost every other fish keeping forum. It will not crash the other tank to do so. You may go on thinking whatever you like - there are still people that think the world is flat, but the correct information has even presented to you, and more importantly to the OP and anyone else that may read this thread. Again, I strongly urge you to do outside research on the matter. Please, DON'T take my word for it.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #10 
bniebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
Your opinion on cycling tanks with seeded media is uninformed. You don't think it's possible, when it is. Not only is it possible, it is THE recommended method on almost every other fish keeping forum. It will not crash the other tank to do so. You may go on thinking whatever you like - there are still people that think the world is flat, but the correct information has even presented to you, and more importantly to the OP and anyone else that may read this thread. Again, I strongly urge you to do outside research on the matter. Please, DON'T take my word for it.

YOU may consider it misinformed but that does not mean that it is. The point is that is IS safe to QT in ways other than you are suggesting. The point of this forum is to offer and exchange different perspectives and information. So yeah, don't take this person's word for it.