Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #1 
Splash

Best way to start up?

I'm looking to add quite a few plants to my bettas 10 gallon. I have a separator in the middle so I'd be putting them on both sides. What is the best gravel to use to get the plants to grow and maintain? I also have two mystery snails and four ghost shrimp (two on each side). Also what are the best plants you recommend?
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

i would recommend easy low light plants such as anubias, water wisteria, water sprite, java fern, java moss, guppy grass, crypts...
do you have the correct lighting for plants?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:19 PM   #3 
Splash

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
i would recommend easy low light plants such as anubias, water wisteria, water sprite, java fern, java moss, guppy grass, crypts...
do you have the correct lighting for plants?
I have LED lighting, its pretty bright. I'm not sure what the correct lighting is? Thank you for the help :D
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

You'll needing light with color in the 5000-10000k range...the best color temperature is around 6500k
XD its hard to say for LEDs, but it should look like the same color light you get in an office environment... and not orange.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #5 
Bluewind

On top of the cool plants listed above, I would add Marimo Ball and Aponogeton into good plants to research. Sometimes Bettas will turn Marimo balls into toys. Aponogeton is avaliable everywhere and even though it's hard to get started (only about 1/3rd of the bulbs will grow), once it does it grows like a weed! And it's good for making massive bubble nests :)

Also, don't forget a fert. I have a bottle (made by API) of the liquid and it lasts a LONG time! I just put it in with my pwc water every week before I add it to the tank.

Btw, my substrate is PFS. It's fine enough for the plants to make a good root system in, but not enough to compact. It works with my snail and shrimp. It just wont work with Corys, Loaches, and such.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 05-13-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote