Betta Fish Forum banner

NLS...so tiny...how many?

793 views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Polkadot 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
Finally got our Betta yesterday!! So excited. Opened up the NLS package, and those things are sooooo small! How many should I be feeding him? He is regular sized, same as most of the Bettas from Petco.

:)

#4 ·
If I let my guy eat as much as he could in two minutes he'd be dead in a week! xD

He gets 4 pellets of Omega One twice a day and it only takes him about 10 seconds each time... I think I need to start feeding less, though, because his belly's getting pretty round.

#11 ·
A fishs empty stomach is significantly larger than its eye. Not that the size of an empty stomach is meaningful in any way, as its designed to stretch to accommodate food.

Sent from Petguide.com App

#9 ·
We do about 6 once a day (don't have opportunity to feed twice a day due to work schedule.) I tried to feed about 8, but he bloated, so we stick with 6.

I cut a straw in half, then cut a v-shaped notch in one end to flare it out a bit like a small spoon...sure helps when picking up the food and determining the quantity. The NLS small fish is SMALL...!

#13 ·
I feed 15-20 of the of the 1 mm pellets for the betta and frogs - WAY more than anyone else seems to. It hasn't eaten itself to death and never once has it been constipated. I've never had a fish be constipated since switching to NLS. Perhaps that's because that is the only thing my fish get fed. 4 years and counting.

Sent from Petguide.com App

#14 ·
I feed the NLS to my four @home Bettas (my office Betta eats Omega One) and what I have learned is that it really depends on the individual fish. I have one young male who I think will probably always be on the smaller side (he was a "baby Betta" from Petco and I have heard that many of those don't reach full size) but may still be growing, so he gets probably four or five NLS in the morning, an evening treat of frozen food (we alternate between frozen mysis shrimp, frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, or frozen beef heart) plus another one or two NLS before bed most nights. The three girls (one VT and two CTs) are all different. My largest girl is one of the CTs, Aurora, and she actually requires the least amount of food of all of them, or she gets porky. She gets one or two NLS in the am, a very small amount of frozen food at night, and never gets a before-bed snack. The other two girls get about three or four NLS in the am, some sort of frozen food in the evening, and then the little VT, Bettina, gets one NLS before bed - she's really tiny, but she must burn it all off because she is a complete maniac ... she NEVER stops racing around ... and is just over, under, into, and through everything in her tank.

I don't fast my @home Bettas, or have not until recently - I just left for the weekend for the first time since I've had them so I was a little nervous, but they did fine. I may start fasting them one day a week - my office Betta has always fasted two days a week on the weekends and done fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.