Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2013, 09:19 PM   #1 
HMBbetta

NLS...so tiny...how many?

Hi guys,
Finally got our Betta yesterday!! So excited. Opened up the NLS package, and those things are sooooo small! How many should I be feeding him? He is regular sized, same as most of the Bettas from Petco.

:)
HMBbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #2 
bettaman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMBbetta View Post
Hi guys,
Finally got our Betta yesterday!! So excited. Opened up the NLS package, and those things are sooooo small! How many should I be feeding him? He is regular sized, same as most of the Bettas from Petco.

:)
The general rule is that you should feed them what they can finish in 2-3 minutes. The Small Fish Formula is pretty small so I would say about 6-8 pellets at each feeding time is good. Get other people's opinion though to see what they say! :)
bettaman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #3 
JellOh

5-6 pellets a day for the betta formula and the size of his eye a day for the small fish formula.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #4 
LouiMon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaman12 View Post
The general rule is that you should feed them what they can finish in 2-3 minutes. The Small Fish Formula is pretty small so I would say about 6-8 pellets at each feeding time is good. Get other people's opinion though to see what they say! :)
If I let my guy eat as much as he could in two minutes he'd be dead in a week! xD

He gets 4 pellets of Omega One twice a day and it only takes him about 10 seconds each time... I think I need to start feeding less, though, because his belly's getting pretty round.
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #5 
bettaman12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouiMon View Post
If I let my guy eat as much as he could in two minutes he'd be dead in a week! xD

He gets 4 pellets of Omega One twice a day and it only takes him about 10 seconds each time... I think I need to start feeding less, though, because his belly's getting pretty round.
Haha yeah I've had bettas that would eat themselves to death and i've had others that take their sweet time.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #6 
Rosewynn

Mine get 5 twice a day because they'd eat like 30 in 2-3 minutes if I let them. :P
Rosewynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #7 
HMBbetta

Thanks guys- I just gave him 6 and was going strong. But I'll try 5 twice a day, and see how that goes. How do you know if they aren't getting enough food?

Also- are Omega 1 the same size as NLS Betta Pellets?
HMBbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #8 
bettaman12

Omega One is slightly bigger but not that noticeable.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #9 
Juditko

We do about 6 once a day (don't have opportunity to feed twice a day due to work schedule.) I tried to feed about 8, but he bloated, so we stick with 6.

I cut a straw in half, then cut a v-shaped notch in one end to flare it out a bit like a small spoon...sure helps when picking up the food and determining the quantity. The NLS small fish is SMALL...!
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #10 
Juditko

Oh, and yes, if we went by the 2-3 minute rule, he would eat enough for 10 bettas.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote