Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #1 
Gallium

Evaluate Silver Platium Purple PK male?

I picked him up 3 days ago so he may still color up more. The purple is visible to the naked eye and is not iridescence. He has a bit of copper overtone/iridescence to the fins in the sunlight.

I'm relatively new to bettas (I had some a few years back, never bred any) but would like to start learning about the very basics of breeding (separate from genetics) so I'd like to learn how to evaluate potential breeders? If you could simplify and/or not use abbreviation that'd be great since I'm not 100% familiar with them all yet.

He's relatively young, good feisty male, decent coloration, and has 4 fin rays (I think?)
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Basically when choosing breeders, you look at their fins - genetics. So it would be a good idea if you read the basics of genetic.

If lucky, you get a good father that will care for the fry until they're big enough. But also be prepared for those egg/fry eaters, in which case you need to remove both male and female as soon as spawning is complete.

Your guy is pretty good. Perhaps you could breed him to a double tail and hopefully improve his overall fins. Try to look for a double tail with long front dorsal rays. And it could also improve his caudal - adding more rays to it.

Good luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I'm still learning about the finnage of plakats but his dont look too bad, and I absolutely love his color. If your going to get into breeding I can not stress how important being knowledgeable about genetics is.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #4 
Gallium

I'm in the middle of reading up on genetics right now, it's all a little bit confusing but I'm chugging along. Since I don't know his lineage (He is a petstore baby) I was hoping some of the more experienced fanciers could help me narrow down is type a bit.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I don't understand what you are asking.
Ask as many questions as you can possibly think of. We're here to help in any way we can.

I am classifying your guy into the assymetrical class. You mainly need to improve his dorsal - get it to lean forward.

Color wise, he is a copper - theoretically steel blue genes with metallic, though he may have other hidden genes. If you want to get more of his color, breed to another copper, turquoise/green (dragon or regular), or black dragon. Breeding to other metallics (like platinum or other dragon scales) will ensure more metallic fry but you will also have more mixes.

Don't forget to tell us your goal and plans when asking advise on a breeding pair - answers can vary

@Matts; basically PK fins should be the same as HM. But PKs are divided into 3 categories - Traditional (round caudal, unbalanced fins), assymetrical (longer blunt anal), and symmetrical (balanced fins, long dorsal). That's the general idea anyway.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #6 
Gallium

Ah okay, that makes more sense to me. I'm receiving a golden platinum dragonscale HM girl for my sorority soon and considered her as a test partner for him after I read up a bit more but may instead see if I can find a symmetrical DPK instead. I'd like to retain the same purple coloration but none of the subject materials I've read so far cover purple?
Old 05-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Don't look for purple when searching for color info. Your guy is NOT purple. He is the same color line as my avatar but with a different shade - copper (metallic). Look that up and learn as much as you can on their genetics.

Post pictures of the female when you get her - Side view of her flaring. . . . Some people give color names according to their appearance. But it's the "color genes" that you should learn about. I've seen coppers labelled as gold because they show a golden reflection. e will need pictures to be sure.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #8 
ShukiAi

I really don't know anything about breeding...but your boy is GORGEOUS! <3
ShukiAi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:48 PM   #9 
Gallium

I know he's not purple in color, I meant I'd like to consider breeding some just like him and retain the same purple hue to the fins as he has, though I'd like to improve fin condition while still keeping plakat, if that makes sense?
Old 05-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #10 
Gallium

Who do you think if I paired with this female?

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...hmp&1368674950