Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #11 
Gallium

I've got a female really ready to drop eggs, though she is a bit ugly haha. If I undergo a test breeding since I've never done it before, When and how do I choose which fry to cull?

I bred guppies for a long time so I've got everything I need equipment wise (including lots of jars with thermal mat heating), is it worth trying a test breeding with this guy, or wait until I find a compatible female and risk missing my breeding window?
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #12 
MadMay

I would wait and breed with the girl that suits him best. I have a current spawn thats about 5 and half weeks and I honestly regret it a little bit I purchased four females and picked the best one out of the bunch to breed but she was to aggressive for my male so I used her sister who had a bad top line and now that I know how much work this all is Im regretting it and wished I had just re conditioned. Also you didnt mention it so you may already have them but you need food cultures Microworms are super easy! I also hear Grindle worms are good for them as well. A ton of people you bbs but personally it seems like a hasssle.
MadMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #13 
MadMay

Coppers are kind of strange the original girl I was going to use came to me as a ruddy brown butterfly and now she is straight brown with red eyes. If you take a picture of her with flare she is a stunning purple. Without flare she is an ugly brown fish lol
Old 05-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #14 
Gallium

Yep! I've got BBS MW, vinegar eels, freshwater copepods as well as sterile mosquito and redworm cultures. I really preffer my BBS and copepod cultures for baby guppies so I hope they'll do great for betta fry as well.

Gallium's visibly purple with or without flash- the only main difference is his scales are slightly more cyan to the eyes. I'm hoping the color will transfer over. If I can get just one or two like him out of all his future spawns (if any) I'll be quite happy!

I will probably wait on the spawn. He's building up a bubble nest in the conditioning tank so I'll probably just keep conditioning while I look for a nice match.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #15 
MadMay

You can breed back to the dad in f2 that may help you retain his shade of copper.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:11 PM   #16 
Gallium

I'll try that out if he's still fit for breeding by then!
Old 05-16-2013, 02:22 AM   #17 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
I've got a female really ready to drop eggs, though she is a bit ugly haha. If I undergo a test breeding since I've never done it before, When and how do I choose which fry to cull?

I bred guppies for a long time so I've got everything I need equipment wise (including lots of jars with thermal mat heating), is it worth trying a test breeding with this guy, or wait until I find a compatible female and risk missing my breeding window?
Look at your options compared to what is available to you. What do you mean by "breeding window"? And how long until you can breed again? If the interval is 1 year, perhaps you should breed him to what ever female you have . . . given that her form isn't that bad.

Do you have space and supplies for 2 spawns? If you do, then I say breed him. And when you find the right female, breed him again.

The black dragon female is OK. She won't improve your male's dorsal, but she will produce fairly equal quality fry, if not slightly better. I'm not too sure about her color genes, as I don't really know dragon genetic make ups. But IME copper x black dragon will produce some black coppers, coppers, and partial dragon scales.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #18 
Gallium

Well, I'm not sure how old he is so I wanted to be sure I was mating him in his youth to ensure his best care ability. I've got everything I should need for two spawns, I was going to cull the numbers down to a more handleable number as they start to color up. I've got a lot of homes that would be interested as well as two LFS's that will take as many as they can handle.

I'll try breeding him out to the female I have while I'm waiting to find a female with better fin composition.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #19 
Gallium

Alright so I'm a bit confused! Is he a dragon, or a copper? If he is a copper, can he be a dragon as well or neither?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #20 
indjo
TFK Moderator

He is a copper

Dragon scales - is just the scaling (thicker than regular scales). It comes in most colors, incl copper.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote