Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #1 
Darkicydevil

Does he have fin rot or anything?!?!?

So I went to my LPS and their bettas didnt look all that healthy, but one of the healthist ones there, was the exact kind I have been wanting! A EE HM! I been worrying about him, I am acclimating him right now, he is flaring at everything from his cup right now so I have a little hope he is somewhat healthy. (a lot of the bettas were already dead)

and so anyway, I want to know, that green on his tail, is that a sign of early fin rot? also, one of his EEs, has a small tear in it, will that heal? (hard to see in the pic but its worse than it looks) I really got attached to the little guy despite him not being the healthiest betta out htere, and I really want him to pull through! ;A;

Darkicydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:07 PM   #2 
Darkicydevil

Please Help! I just acclimated him and he isnt moving much
Old 05-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #3 
Kithy

How did you acclimate him exactly and over how much time?
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #4 
Darkicydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
How did you acclimate him exactly and over how much time?
I left him floating in his cup for about 25 mins, then took out about 1/8 of the water and added the tank water, waited about 15-20 mins and repeated about 6 times slightly increasing it every time. I let him float for another half hour after the last addition of water then put him in the tank. he is not moving much, he is just sitting at the top among the leaves looking like he is breathing really hard and freaked.

temp is 78, water levels are all normal, he is just not doing well ;A;
Old 05-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #5 
Kithy

It could be that he's just a bit stressed from moving to a new tank. Keep the light off and minimal activity in the area so he can settle a bit. Mine always hid at the back behind the heater when I put them in the tank for the first time.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #6 
Darkicydevil

Quote:
It could be that he's just a bit stressed from moving to a new tank. Keep the light off and minimal activity in the area so he can settle a bit. Mine always hid at the back behind the heater when I put them in the tank for the first time.

ok... I'm worried : ( what about my question about the fin rot and torn fin?
Old 05-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #7 
Catw0man

I don't see any fin rot in the picture....and a torn fin "should" heal, but doesn't always. He's really beautiful, by the way! Once he settles in, I'm sure you'll have a great time with him!
Catw0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #8 
Kithy

I don't see anything that looks worrisome. The best thing for fin rot or tears is warm, clean water, which any betta should have anyway. Keep up on water changes per your tank size and he should heal up any tears soon.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:53 PM   #9 
Darkicydevil

Quote:
I don't see anything that looks worrisome. The best thing for fin rot or tears is warm, clean water, which any betta should have anyway. Keep up on water changes per your tank size and he should heal up any tears soon.
ok.... I hope so
Old 05-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #10 
Kithy

It's okay to be worried (good really, means you actually care about your fishy friend!). It's very hard not to worry about a fish when it doesn't seem to feel well because there are so few symptoms and the ones they have likely overlap into other diseases.

I would wait on feeding him for a day or so (he won't starve, they can do a week or more without eating). Do you have some decor in there like silk plants and maybe a cave or other hiding area? Some bettas are stressed by large open areas in their tank. If you have any API Stress Coat you can definitely use some, it won't hurt. If you don't have any then don't worry about it. I would wager he'll be perking up in a day or two. My new betta sulked for a few hours before coming out.