Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #11 
Darth

When spawnig to achieve a set goal, its a numbers game to see all of the genetics in an F2 you will need to grow as many fish as you can to adulthood.
The male has the typical slanted fins, I like a more level caudal and less pointed.
I would still work the color and then add HM later to straighten out the form/
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #12 
shimagoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
When spawnig to achieve a set goal, its a numbers game to see all of the genetics in an F2 you will need to grow as many fish as you can to adulthood.
The male has the typical slanted fins, I like a more level caudal and less pointed.
I would still work the color and then add HM later to straighten out the form/
I agree, id love to play with color (since its easier) and then see where I can take it! i have a few other bettas if i need and am def willing to add stock but nothing till I can breed out a large batch of f2 and see what is hiding! I have a sneaking suspicion there can be some fun stuff in here!

As far as marble, im not so interested in that as much as I am the bicolor blue, as well as adding some pattern into the tails.

Also as far as HM goes, they both have 8 rays, and the female looks like she might fill out to a more proper HM

opinions? can traditional plakat have 8 rays? or do they become traditional hmpk at 4+ rays?

Either way, I got their setup finalized today and I think they should be some fun regardless and something for me to obsess about!

(also regarding the curved caudal fin, that isnt necessarily a bad thing according to IBC and T-HMPK) but still the first spawn will be the tell tale
shimagoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:39 AM   #13 
shimagoma

also, as a quick note, thanks everyone for your feedback and thoughts. again opinions and critique are always helpful and it keeps the bettas in my head swimmin! :)
Old 05-15-2013, 12:54 AM   #14 
Darth

No problem, and good luck!! Please keep us posted something can always ne learned and the results are actually all lessons!!
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #15 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimagoma View Post
Well, neither of them are dragon scale (just basically a purple splash blue cambodian with some purple sheen)

also isnt it 6+ rays that make a hmpk? ontop of the 180?
Reaally?? Could you post another picture - close up, flaring in defend position (taken from opposite side of rival - rival should be seen in background. OR use a stick or mirror and wait till it is in defense position) . Sorry, but I thought they were dragons. Just curious.

HMPK is basically the short finned version of HM which could either be 4-8 rays. Traditional usually have 2 rays and caudal often looks rather round. Perhaps you meant asymmetrical PK.
Dorsal is often hardest to fix and maintain. Most often people use DT, hoping to add ray branching on dorsal. Caudal can usually be improved by 8 ray perfect HM/HMPK.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #16 
shimagoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Reaally?? Could you post another picture - close up, flaring in defend position (taken from opposite side of rival - rival should be seen in background. OR use a stick or mirror and wait till it is in defense position) . Sorry, but I thought they were dragons. Just curious.

HMPK is basically the short finned version of HM which could either be 4-8 rays. Traditional usually have 2 rays and caudal often looks rather round. Perhaps you meant asymmetrical PK.
Dorsal is often hardest to fix and maintain. Most often people use DT, hoping to add ray branching on dorsal. Caudal can usually be improved by 8 ray perfect HM/HMPK.
Ill take one once they get here, they JUST shipped out. (so sometime thursday)

The fact that they are not dragon is actually something im really interested in. I dont mind dragon, but I feel like the plain scale is so soft and silky looking, the fru-fru in me likes the look.

Ah! that makes sense though, so in that case hes just a poor spread hmpk? since they both have the 8 ray spread? Im sure once i get a buncha fry and see what colors i have or even if as they both get older what fins are needed where!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #17 
shimagoma

Hey all! I was updating with some more pictures! they are a little darker than the pair actually is and they are a hair tired, so give them some slack :P

thoughts?
they are super fun and have awesome appetites!
Also cant get my female to flair to save my life lol, i think shes just being sleepy.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #18 
indjo
TFK Moderator

hmmm, they still look dragon scaled to me.

They are not perfect but would make a good start, specially color wise. Bullet shaped body, at least 4 ray caudal, nice fan like dorsal, proportional anal and fairly wide ventrals.

I'd say breed for colors - white body with royal blue fins. Once you can get them to breed true, then start breeding for form.

Good luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #19 
shimagoma

just the kind of feeling i was hoping to get from others!
awesome, i figure this should keep me plenty busy :)

wish me luck! ive had them for about a month now so we can see what to do!
Old 06-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #20 
Mahsfish

Try to only keep fry that are blue and white. Cull all that are blue orange and white. This will help produce better quality coloured marbles if you want to show.
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote