Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #21 
Mahsfish

The male has a awful caudal for hmpk. Round tail not good. Dorsal and ventral look decent. Just fix up colour
Mahsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #22 
Mahsfish

You want colour like this. 2 colour marble is easier to deal with than 3. This wall take a cpl years though
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #23 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Mah, there is no need to cull blue, orange, and white fish. They are very nice looking and can be shown as multis.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #24 
Mahsfish

There is another category in show for marbles Matt. And it's any fish that show the marbling trait. The ibc standards on marbles say that they should have even distribution if colours. "Fancies" are not going to beat a good form marble with even colour distribution no matter how good the form. If a fish has 2 colours like blue and white they will be easier to get to 50/50 on the body oppose to 3 colours at 33/33/33

Plus the orange will likely bring red wash and yellows aswell.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #25 
shimagoma

i thought traditional HMPK are supposed to have the rounded caudial? also, I dont know what im gonna get for colors so far, and I wouldnt go so far as to say the fin is awful lol, just not perfect yet. regardless, the blue and white might be something to work to, but i also think while a tri color might be hard might be worth seeing what i get then going from there.

thks for the input all around though, im sure whatever comes out of the two it will be interesting at least! and a sturdy base.

(ill be honest the colors are what im most excited about!)

Last edited by shimagoma; 06-04-2013 at 05:52 PM.
shimagoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #26 
LittleBettaFish

I have just read the last page or so, but are you specifically trying to breed for show quality fish, or just nice quality pets and maybe show a couple of the best fish from the spawn?

If you aren't breeding for show, I wouldn't worry too much about whether the fish has a mix of colours. Most pet buyers go for the flashiest fish without worrying if it meets show standards or not, so if that is going to be your majority market, I say have fun with these two and see what you get. They are definitely not the worst pair of fish I have seen put together on this forum. I quite like them actually.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #27 
Mahsfish

Another nice example of marble http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kCLjUOoNTc
Here's another great marble with colour 50/50 and separation
Old 06-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #28 
Mahsfish

Agree with lbf on market. But caudal is going to be hard to work with. Traditional pk should still meet 180 and not be too rounded. Hmpk should not me round
Old 06-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #29 
shimagoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I have just read the last page or so, but are you specifically trying to breed for show quality fish, or just nice quality pets and maybe show a couple of the best fish from the spawn?

If you aren't breeding for show, I wouldn't worry too much about whether the fish has a mix of colours. Most pet buyers go for the flashiest fish without worrying if it meets show standards or not, so if that is going to be your majority market, I say have fun with these two and see what you get. They are definitely not the worst pair of fish I have seen put together on this forum. I quite like them actually.
I will probably end up breaking things into two lines, the ones where I actually care about perfection, then the fun "who knows what could happen!" line. For now, the first spawn will tell me which way to go. both would make me happy, show quality would make me slightly happier though hehe.
shimagoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #30 
LittleBettaFish

Well good luck with them. I only ever buy marbles, and the crazier the colour the better haha.

Who knows, you may get some really nice fish out the first crossing as you never know what sort of genetics have been passed onto your pair until you spawn them.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote