Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2013, 02:49 AM   #1 
Starchild21

Small rant :P

I was standing in line for food today and I asked the lady if the pasties had meat in them(I'm a vegetarian) and her reply was ''No they don't you can eat them though it only has 2% beef''
I'm not trying to push my views on anyone as I don't care what people eat as long as you eat food, but I feel like she was gah I donno silly for saying that, she says that the canteen will never have vegetarian food as no one eats it and it costs her to much

Sorry if anyone takes offence to this but I was angry.
Starchild21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:04 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

They don't...but they do? What a ridiculous reply!
My uni has started a food co-op and everything there is vegan. It's fantastic! A real lesson to anyone who thinks vegan food is essentially tofu and salad. I had a pie there today and I freaked out because I thought it had meat in it (I'm a vegetarian too, going vegan when I leave home), but it turned out to be the richest, meatiest tofu I have ever had. It was amazing - tasted better than the real thing!

I don't get the problem people have with vegetarian food. Even when I was a meat-eater, a vegetable lasagna, pasta with vegetable sauce, vegetable soup, or a delicious salad were all perfectly viable and delicious options! A meal doesn't have to have meat to be amazing.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:41 AM   #3 
Polkadot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starchild21 View Post
she says that the canteen will never have vegetarian food as no one eats it and it costs her to much
I don't get it when places say things like that,I mean how hard is it to have a veggie pattie or something? Lots of people like to have vegie meals whether they are vegetarian or not.I am vegetarian also and sometimes people still just can't understand it and think it's/you're weird or something.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #4 
Laki

It sounds like you should go over her head to her superiors. If you're paying tuition at an institution you should not be excluded from the dinner menu because of your dietary specifications. That's discrimination. If there was Muslim students, the cafeteria would HAVE to sell kosher products and label them as such, if Hindu students went to dinner they would be offered meat-free options as well. People differentiate religious and personal preferences all the time. Another faction of ignorance we must live through as vegetarians.

Seriously, talk to her manager/boss. If nothing is done, go to the school Dean.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

Jewish people need Kosher. Muslims need Halal. :p

I think one way that people rationalise it is that vegetarianism is a choice, rather than a religious requirement (for those who are doing it for non-religious reasons, anyway). That being said, my Muslim friend struggles to find Halal stuff all the time, too. I never thought of it from the discrimination angle.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #6 
Laki

*face palm* omg I'm so ignorant!! SORRY!!!!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #7 
pittipuppylove

Good grief... That's pretty ridiculous. As a non-vegetarian, I think that it doesn't make sense to not have vegetarian/vegan options if only because it expands the people you can market yourself to. And if it tastes good, people will eat it whether it contains meat or not.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #8 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittipuppylove View Post
Good grief... That's pretty ridiculous. As a non-vegetarian, I think that it doesn't make sense to not have vegetarian/vegan options if only because it expands the people you can market yourself to. And if it tastes good, people will eat it whether it contains meat or not.
I think it depends on the eatery as well. If I own a burger joint or a greasy spoon, why would I carry vegetarian products, aside from burger toppings, when it is a realistic expectation that neither vegetarians nor vegans will eat at my place of business? If it is the lady's place of business, she has every right to not serve vegetarian food and it is not discriminatory in the least. She chooses to keep her costs down, because vegan food is expensive.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #9 
Laki

My boyfriend and most of my friends eat meat. I love going out to eat with them and I love veggie burgers, so I should be able to buy a burger with my friends. Actually, to keep and store veggies burgers it's really cheap, in fact, all the restaraunts in my city are supposed to carry meat-free options and it's almost always a veggie burger. Then they stick fettucini alfredo on the veggie menu as well to make them look good.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #10 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
My boyfriend and most of my friends eat meat. I love going out to eat with them and I love veggie burgers, so I should be able to buy a burger with my friends. Actually, to keep and store veggies burgers it's really cheap, in fact, all the restaraunts in my city are supposed to carry meat-free options and it's almost always a veggie burger. Then they stick fettucini alfredo on the veggie menu as well to make them look good.
Having veggie options may be required by your city but that is not the case everywhere, and you shouldn't call an eatery discriminatory for not catering to an individual's lifestyle choice. It is also your choice to accompany your carni friends when they go out to eat; and I am sure that since they are your friends, they take your choice into consideration when looking for places to eat so they have veggie options for you. Again why would a rib joint have veggie options. Pick a side of mashed potatoes and salad and let everyone else enjoy their plate of ribs.
This sounds like those frivolous lawsuits filed against McDonald's for making people fat. WHAT? You choice to stuff your face full of fatty, unhealthy food. You are responsible for you fatty butt.

Last edited by Freyja; 05-16-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote