Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #1 
jesssan2442

I need all the help I can get!!

so I'm looking to plant a 3g critter keeper!! I have the petco brand black sand!! I have a 60w light that I was told could work if I keep the light high enough above the tank!! This will be my first time planting a tank so I need some easy plants!!! I'm thinking this as a list of possible plants!!

anubias
java fern
water wisteria or duckweed
anacharis
amazon sword
crypts

So I have a light and sand what other things could I need? do I need anything special for these plants like root tabs or fertilizers?

also any tips or helpful rules would be greatly appreciated!!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh whoops, just saw this thread but I commented on your other one already ^^
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #3 
Gallium

Anachris is a cold water plant and tends to melt after coming home from the store, so if you decide to go with that keep it in a seperate tank and gradually increase the temps over a period of a week to the same temp as the main tank before you put it in.

Swords get a little too big for a 3 gallon, they're okay while small but grow quickly and tend to overgrow a 3g within a week or two.

The rest should all work, I'd switch out the duckweed for red root floater/frogbit instead, duckweed just gets everywhere, but really it's just personal preference.

The rest should all go great as long as the temps stay relatively stable and you provide some method of fertilization (snails make good plant keepers, they don't eat the plants and their feces are good fertilizers). You MAY need to use root tabs if the plants grow too quickly in the light, but you should be able to pull it off with what you have.

Do you have a filter or any method of water circulation?
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:29 AM   #4 
jesssan2442

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
Anachris is a cold water plant and tends to melt after coming home from the store, so if you decide to go with that keep it in a seperate tank and gradually increase the temps over a period of a week to the same temp as the main tank before you put it in.

Swords get a little too big for a 3 gallon, they're okay while small but grow quickly and tend to overgrow a 3g within a week or two.

The rest should all work, I'd switch out the duckweed for red root floater/frogbit instead, duckweed just gets everywhere, but really it's just personal preference.

The rest should all go great as long as the temps stay relatively stable and you provide some method of fertilization (snails make good plant keepers, they don't eat the plants and their feces are good fertilizers). You MAY need to use root tabs if the plants grow too quickly in the light, but you should be able to pull it off with what you have.

Do you have a filter or any method of water circulation?
I have a 5g hex tank that I can move the sword to once it gets to big!!!

I don't have a filter... I was planning on getting one then I made an impulse buy so now I have to buy everthing twice so I don't have enought money left!! at some point I'll buy a filter!!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah I don't think the filter is essential for now? Correct me if I'm wrong though!

I feel like you could certainly start it up now, see how everything goes, add in the filter later on and what not :)
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

Just my two cents on anacharis - I've had a heck of a lot of it, and it absolutely thrives in my betta tank, which is heated to 80F.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote