Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2013, 09:06 PM   #1 
NeptunesMom

What do you think?

So, I found this super tiny girl at PetSmart (she is probably 1/2 the size of my year old female) that has been there for a long while (at least a month). She is all clamped up, and looks miserable. I feel awful for her, but I do not have a tank I can put her in, except maybe the tank my ADF is in. I have a 10 g with an ADF, 2 mystery snails and 3 ghost shrimp. I can not QT her (I have nowhere to QT her at the time). I've only had the ADF for like 2 weeks, and the ghost shrimp for maybe 1 1/2. I know that the tank the ADF and ghost shrimp came from did have Ich in it. But, I do not know if they are carriers of it.

So I'm wondering if you would get her and put her in the tank with the ADF, ghost shrimp and mystery snail... or if you would think that it would be in her best interest to hope for another home? I've never put a betta in with anything but mystery snails. What are the risks with ADF and ghost shrimp? Particularly for a very tiny betta?
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #2 
Hadoken Kitty

Well, from what I've read on here ADF and shrimps get along well with bettas. You could easily use the cup she comes in as a QT. It would be better than the shelf, since the water changes would be more consistent, but that's up to you. You'd have to do daily changes if you went that route. Anyways, I've read somewhere that ADFs require like 3 gallons per frog, so you might wanna look that up as well. I can see it working, but the tank sounds like it might have an over-stocking issue. It makes a big difference if the tank is NPT or all artificial. Please update on that. (:
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #3 
NeptunesMom

I checked AqAdvisor and it wouldn't be overstocked. It was at like 70%. I was originally going to put the ADF in with my Neptune, but decided against it because I was nervous about them together (and I decided the frog would like his/her own tank). It's a long story, but I actually didn't want an ADF, I ended up with one because I saved it. The shrimp were added in hopes of cleaning up the food the ADF didn't want/missed. Mostly, I was worried because she is so tiny. Neptune is bigger than the frog (so no worries), but this girl is really, really small. I think she's a baby, or a dwarf (not sure if there are dwarf bettas).

ETA: I could put her in an unheated 2.5 g to QT. But, I would not be able to heat it as I am out of outlets. I mean, she could live in the 2.5 g unheated forever too if someone thinks that's a better option than her current option. I don't know. Ugh.

Last edited by NeptunesMom; 05-18-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #4 
Hadoken Kitty

If the unheated is glass, those typically get colder/stay colder than their plastic counter parts. Why not get a breeding box to put in the 3 gal until she's big enough to be released into the tank? That way she gets fresh warm water and she can get used to her tank mates while they get used to her. I had a really small girl as well, but she's in my sorority now and she's HUGE. Hah! Just feed her plenty and she'll grow in no time.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #5 
Mankey

I can't say if you should or shouldn't, but I can tell you that I once had a problem with my ADF nipping on the fins of my old betta (the one in the picture), and I eventually had to get rid of it. I'm pretty sure it's a rare thing, but I just thought you should know so you can do it with caution if you do choose to get it.
Mankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:14 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

I'd go with Hadoken's suggestion - a breeder box would be a great way to give her warm, clean water without risking her with the frog just yet.

As for nipping, since she is short-tailed (or so I assume), it shouldn't be a bg issue.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:07 PM   #7 
NeptunesMom

Well.. I'm going to get her, and a breeder box. Wish me luck!
Old 05-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #8 
Hadoken Kitty

Wooo good luck!
Old 05-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #9 
NeptunesMom

I didn't end up getting her. I ended up getting another guy who I just couldn't leave behind looking like this. The girl was nowhere near as bad as he was.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #10 
Hadoken Kitty

Oh poor baby!!!! Did you still get the breeder box?