Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #11 
shimagoma

I have a school of 6 cories in my 30 gal and they are on pebbles/sand/flourite, and ive never had issues.... If they are healthy I dont assume you would have problems with their barbles
shimagoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #12 
cheylillymama

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimagoma View Post
I have a school of 6 cories in my 30 gal and they are on pebbles/sand/flourite, and ive never had issues.... If they are healthy I dont assume you would have problems with their barbles

I haven't had issues with them on gravel, I've just never used any type of sand before and had read on this site a few people having problems so I figured id better ask. In gonna go with pfs and see how it works. :)
cheylillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

I thought corydoras were supposed to be on sand rather than gravel for the sake of their barbels. Never heard of anyone having issues with sand and corydoras.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #14 
cheylillymama

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I thought corydoras were supposed to be on sand rather than gravel for the sake of their barbels. Never heard of anyone having issues with sand and corydoras.
That's why im switching to sand. Apparently several people misunderstood my post. I ease simply asking if pfs was ok or if another type of sand is better for the copies.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #15 
cheylillymama

*was
*cories
Old 05-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #16 
Gallium

The best substrate I've used so far is to use a fine layer of pure worm castings, top with a fine layer of blasting grit (I like black diamond blasting grit for even grit size, allows the substrate to "breathe" a bit) and top with whatever is aesthetically pleasing to you. I used a mix of flourite (to hold onto nutrients) and fine gravel for volume in this tank. I'm trying out worm castings topped with several inches of grit this summer so I can see how well the substrate breathes.

Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #17 
Bombalurina

Cheylilmama, it wasn't meant as chastisement - we all care a lot about fish here and want to help them and you get the maximum possible enjoyment out of them being your pets. :)

I think your solution with the tank switcheroo is a good one - the julii will love the space of the 55 gallon, and the pandas will be alright in the ten. :)

You are also right about sand being best for the cories - when I had pandas and gravel, the poor little things had their barbels damaged before I realised what the problem was.
Beware that pandas seem to be the most sensitive of the cory species when it comes to stress - acclimatise slowly, pack them securely for the trip from the petshop, and give them plenty of hiding spots. :) Luckily, they are also one of the cutest species, IMO, so they make up for being fusspots.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #18 
cheylillymama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Cheylilmama, it wasn't meant as chastisement - we all care a lot about fish here and want to help them and you get the maximum possible enjoyment out of them being your pets. :)

I think your solution with the tank switcheroo is a good one - the julii will love the space of the 55 gallon, and the pandas will be alright in the ten. :)

You are also right about sand being best for the cories - when I had pandas and gravel, the poor little things had their barbels damaged before I realised what the problem was.
Beware that pandas seem to be the most sensitive of the cory species when it comes to stress - acclimatise slowly, pack them securely for the trip from the petshop, and give them plenty of hiding spots. :) Luckily, they are also one of the cutest species, IMO, so they make up for being fusspots.

Thank you. My husband will be happy too, he loves the julii and has been planning to get some, Im planning to surprise him with a whole group on Saturday.
as a new member, having several people throw the same info at me in a manner which comes across as scolding, is frustrating. Especially since I took the time to look up the info myself after the first reply about the julii. It hurt my feelings a bit I suppose, because i care for all of my animals a great deal, including my fishies.
we run a dog rescue. So i am pretty sensitive to negligence when it comes to animals and I went on the defensive immediately. I appreciate your polite reply.
:)