Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #1 
Ghostery

*Help*? Showing signs of legarthy

I just lost a betta this morning (Rivaille) and I don't want to lose another one :(
Here's King

This time I included a photo compared to my last thread about Rivaille who I didnt manage to save..
So he's started to behave simillarly to when Rivaille 1st started showing symptoms.
Legarthy, Not eating his food, floating above the surface (but not vertically like Rivaille), occasionally going(darting) down for a water change.
I've moved him to a slightly larger tank 1.5 litres (0.5gallons) compared to his last tank which was 800ml.
I also can't seem to get Epsom salt anywhere, especially not this late in the night, is there any other way I can get it other than buying it?

Also, does anyone know if I could use laboratory Magnesium Sulphate (Epsom salt) and not the one from the pet shop?
Does it make a difference?
Cauz if I can, I'll borrow some Magnesium Sulphate from my school lab tomorrow.

The water should be free of ammonia and nitrates/ nitrides cuz I change the water very regularly(50% every half-day because the tank is so small)
And I just did a 100% water change for King cuz I switched tanks for him.
Might it be a chlorine problem? (I dont have a water conditioner yet and probably wont be getting one for another few days)
If it might be a chlorine problem, should I put it in this 10-gallon aquarium I have at home? (It has a filter, cycle and everything, Temp is room temp around 28~30C) The aquarium has some unknown species of tropical fish in it, and a rather big goldfish.

My father's not at home and he wont be for another couple of days so I cant go anywhere or buy any new stuff for the fish, and I can only make do with what I currently have at home.

Is this stress or something much serious? I don't want him to die... I cant just speculate that it's stress/constipation and leave him like what I did for Rivaille...

Housing
What size is your tank? 1/2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 28~30C room temperature(i live in a hot country)
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Krill micro pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day(morning and night)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice Daily, since the tank is so small
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? each time around 40~50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The fish wasn't as colourful as it was yesterday, It's like it's lost its luster.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It's less active than it was yesterday (it was really excited and active), now it's just hanging at the surface with it's mouth up
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today when i came back from school (4pm GMT+8)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm not sure, but I'm guessing around 5 months, they were new arrivals at the pet shop
Ghostery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Actually the Magnesium Sulphate is the salt I believe we all use, that can be found in your pharmacy. As long as it has no other additives and is unscented then you should be all good to go! Yeah, you won't find Epsom salt in pet stores.

And I'm happy to see you upgraded him a little bit. Thus far, I can only keep thinking that it might be the chlorine and the heavy metals in your water that is doing this and now doing it to two fish. Having the same exact or very similar symptoms has led me to believe that. Hopefully you can get the conditioner soon to help.

EDIT: I completely forgot about something!! You can age your water to help get rid of the chlorine!! This is going to help wonders! What you do is just leave the water in a bucket over night, I think a 24 hour period is best since I haven't actually done this, you might want to google it to just be certain!

Last edited by lilnaugrim; 05-14-2013 at 03:20 PM.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:27 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

It's best to just get water conditioner. I'm pretty certain that that is what probably caused it, along with a tiny tank and possibly inconsistent temperatures. Just because the room temp is warm doesn't mean the fish is necessarily OK, especially if the room temp fluctuates quite a bit. Also, that many water changes is likely stressing him out. But still, I do think your biggest issue is not having water conditioner.

It is very likely that it's going to be the same with him as it was for Rivaille, honestly. Even if he does make it, it's probably the same thing that caused both of their issues. Next time, I would get the proper sized tank and equipment (like conditioner) BEFORE getting the fish.

I'm not trying to be rude but it's always something to learn from.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah Ayala, the constant water changes was because they were in .2 gallon tanks and the ammonia was building up fast so it was rather necessary to change it.

But I do agree, everything is a learning experience whether we like it or not lol

I got to say, I learned A LOT from my first Betta and water temperatures....I accidentally fried him >< I thought the water was nice! At least it seemed so to me! And the sticky thermometer I had wasn't reading it so I left it for about an hour to cool off a little but it still wasn't reading (I think it was up around 100 degrees because it felt warm to me) and in Gallifrey went....and he flared up and stayed like that the poor boy :( So...yeah definitely learning experiences, it sucks, it really does, but then you know for the future :)

While he's in the .5 gallon you won't need to be changing everyday but every other day, at least 50% unless you get something like a 1.5 Gallon or 2.5 Gallon, then that's where it starts getting a little easier to keep.

Temperature fluctuations do harm them as well (Just for a future guide :). Generally it will get cooler at night so having a heater helps keep the tank at a steady 78 degrees so that your fish won't be stressed from the colder temperatures. We, as humans, don't notice it as much since we are much warmer than a fish and have more body mass, but the smallest fluctuations can really stress out a fish, and not just Betta fish either :) Just a little something to keep in mind.

But for now, you're doing everything you can and I'm happy to see that ^^
Old 05-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Yeah Ayala, the constant water changes was because they were in .2 gallon tanks and the ammonia was building up fast so it was rather necessary to change it.
I realize that but I was pointing out that it could have something to do with it. In my experience, smaller tanks (especially 1/2 gallon or smaller) are not only too small to be comfortable living spaces, but they also provide other issues such as the fact that they are more difficult to consistently heat and the water needs changed so often which is stressful. I am personally against 100% changes because I've always stressed out my fish when I've had to remove them. Sometimes it happens but I don't do it weekly.

And again, like I said, I'm really not trying to be rude but am still trying to be honest. And I'll admit that at one point I was clueless and I used to have my first betta in a one gallon unheated bowl and fed him FD bloodworms. I didn't know better, but I still blame myself for not preparing and researching and for putting my little guy in that situation :( luckily, he's is still around.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh yeah, no, I hear ya :) I know it isn't ideal but it's either hurt from stress (may die) or suffer from ammonia poisonings, it is a hard decision. And of course it doesn't help being on a restricted budget, we've all be there when we started out as well :)
Old 05-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #7 
AyalaCookiejar

Yeah. It does stink that it's one thing or the other. I do completely agree that many water changes are better than not enough in that small of tank. I'm glad that you have put the time into doing so many water changes to try to keep the water clean.

I do think that aging the water is a good idea, and its convenient that your room temp is warm and you won't need a spare heater for the aging water. I do believe that it may help remove the chlorine but still won't help the heavy metals :( I'm praying for little King that he will make it! He is beautiful!

Also, swim in peace to little Rivaille :( I love that name, btw!

And one last thing: don't be too hard on yourself if he doesn't make it. It happens and the most common time you lose them is right after they've been brought home from the store. I do hope that if anything happens that you will still be a part of this forum with us. Learning from mistakes is always good, and its super rewarding when you get the chance to take home a fish and give them a great home from all the things you learned!
Old 05-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #8 
Tikibirds

If you don't have access to water conditioner, that may very well be the problem. You can let the water sit out for 24 hours to remove the chlorine but that won't remove heavy metals or other nasty things in the water. I'm wondering if it may be better to use bottled water till you can get conditioner? Distilled water isn't good for them but bottled water should be OK. However you would want to slowly introduce them to it as too different a chemistry between the tap and bottled water could cause shock.

I kiled my first 5 because I didn't know about using conditioner

If the OP lives in malaysia, I don't think they really need a heater...unless the temp at night really drops. But my impression of Malaysia, singapore, cambodia, thailand is that is is hot and humid all year long?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #9 
LittleBlueFishlets

Some questions:

1) Do you know if there is chlorine in your water?
(I recommend using a Water Conditioner to remove chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals. For now however, if you can't get this, let the water sit out for at least 24 hours.)

1) Is he having buoyancy problems? Or does he just seem to prefer being near the surface?

2) When was the last time he ate?

3) When was the last time he pooped? What color was it?

He doesn't look bloated in the picture. However, if you want to try using Epsom salt, it can help with constipation issues....

Epsom salt is magnesium sulphate. If you're getting it from a lab, the label may read "magnesium sulphate heptahydrate."

Mix 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt into 4 L of room temperature water. Stir until the Epsom salt is completely dissolved. Let the solution sit for at least 24 hours. (This will help remove the chlorine, and allow the temperature to equalize.)

1) Remove about 25% of the water from his tank.
2) Replace it with the new Epsom salt treated water.
3) Wait 15 minutes. Remove about 25% of the water from his tank. Replace it with new Epsom salt treated water.
4) Repeat this process three more times. (Four partial water changes total, over the course of an hour.)

5) Mix up a new batch of Epsom salt treated water. Let it sit overnight.
6) Starting tomorrow, remove 50% of the water. Replace it with new Epsom salt treated water. Do this every day for up to a week.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #10 
Darth

While Chlorine may be an issue the darting sounds more like ich, you will not always see the white dots lethargy and listlessness is a sure sign of disease.
1/2 a gallon container is PLENTY big..I have been breeding bettas for years and they are very content in a quart mason jar, I now use beanies and they hold a quart and a half..I heat the entire fishroom and my water is a constant 80 degrees.
I had issues like this when my water was to hard, since switching to a reverse osmosis unit I don't have half the problems I had.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote