Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #11 
Ghostery

Well I took a last-minute risk when King was hanging on the surface like Rivaille did a few hrs before he died. I put him in the 10gall- aquarium.

It worked wonders! Today he's regained his color and he's very active, and he still prefers to stay at the surface (apparently he breathes a lot) he rarely ever goes to the bottom.

And actually i tested the temp of the water with my hand before putting him in, and the temperature was actually higher than that of his previous(0.5gall) tank. I think the temp's just perfect for him, not for the goldfish. (the goldfish actually stayed in the outside pond but was moved into the aquarium by my dad cuz he had parasites.)
Anyways I'll try to fix that goldfish's parasite problem using Epsom salt conservative method and see how it goes. It's also good for King's recovery i guess ^^

Happy that King made it through the night. For now. Keeping a close eye on him.
Anon's made a huge bubble nest :D it seems happy in its 0.2 gall tank, should I move him to the 0.5 or wait till I buy the 2 gall one?
Ghostery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #12 
Ghostery

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
:( I'm praying for little King that he will make it! He is beautiful!

Also, swim in peace to little Rivaille :( I love that name, btw!

And one last thing: don't be too hard on yourself if he doesn't make it. It happens and the most common time you lose them is right after they've been brought home from the store. I do hope that if anything happens that you will still be a part of this forum with us. Learning from mistakes is always good, and its super rewarding when you get the chance to take home a fish and give them a great home from all the things you learned!
King made it through the night and he's okay for now. :D
My mom thinks its cuz the tank didnt have enough oxygen.
(The aquarium has a oxygenator, filters, a cycle but no water conditioner.)
And I still have another betta called Anon. (for some reason he's happy and make a huge bubble nest while I was at school in his 0.2 gall tank.)

And yea i'll try to find another fish simillar to Rivaille and call that one the same name. In remembrance to Rivaille. (When I get the tanks, conditioner, filters and everything, made sure that Anon and King are doing well for a few months, maybe then i'll get a Rivaille II)
Old 05-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #13 
Darth

Low oxygen wouldn't be a factor Bettas are antabantoids and breathe air they only receive small amounts of oxygen from their gills and it is very minute.
Ammonia build up can make a fish gasp that's why breeders do frequent water changes because of the smaller area
the bettas are housed in.

Last edited by Darth; 05-15-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #14 
Ghostery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
Low oxygen wouldn't be a factor Bettas are antabantoids and breathe air they only receive small amounts of oxygen from their gills and it is very minute.
Ammonia build up can make a fish gasp that's why breeders do frequent water changes because of the smaller area
the bettas are housed in.
Does that mean it's highly possible that ammonia is the cause of Rivaille's death and King's gasping?
But I do water changes very frequently. Does it build up THAT fast?
(Twice a day, 40~50%)
Old 05-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #15 
AyalaCookiejar

With that many water changes, it's not probably ammonia. It's most likely stress or lack of water conditioner.

If the water in the ten gallon hasn't been changed THAT recently (like today, recently) then it's probably been aged, like we have recommended. If it's been in the tank for more than 24 hours, chlorine may not be a problem anymore.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh good! I'm happy he made it through the night! Just be careful with the goldfish, I know it can work out fine but some Goldfish can be nippy. My friend did this with her VT and the goldfish and him got into a huge fight. (Not trying to scare you, I promise!) Just something to look out for is all!

Yeah, I think Anon would like that .5 upgrade, just because they build a bubble nest doesn't mean they are happy, just willing to breed. But it will be easier on you since you won't have to change the water that often. With the .5 MAYBE every other day, you could go a bit longer if you sucked the poo out with a never-seen-soap turkey baster. And then during the days that you aren't changing water, just leave a bucket of water out over night so that it gets rid of those chlorine and then you'll have it ready for when you do do the water change :D
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #17 
Darth

Unless you have really good water, the water changes should not be so frequent, this is a stress factor..once a week for me works.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:39 AM   #18 
Ghostery

Quote:
Unless you have really good water, the water changes should not be so frequent, this is a stress factor..once a week for me works.
"Good water", as in aged or..?
Old 05-16-2013, 06:42 AM   #19 
Darth

Good as in parameters.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #20 
Ghostery

Quote:
Good as in parameters.
Okay;; ill try to get that conditioner asap. and some tanks. and filters. and learn how to do a cycle. a turkey baster. silk plants.
And I'm having trouble with their food. They keep eating it, then spitting it out.
I've already tried 3 brands, crushing them(maybe the pellets were too big) but they still keep spitting their food out.