Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #21 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

what brands did you get?

The most suggeested on here is New Life Spectrum (which has garlic that pretty much all Betta fish love and is good for them) and Omega One Betta Pellets. You could also try any FROZEN bloodworms, as long as they are not freeze-dried you'll be set :)

Cycling is a bit hard in any tank under 5 gallons. It's not impossible, but it's nearly more work to do, so if you are getting anything under 5 gallons you don't necessarily need to cycle it. Just keep up with water changes, usually for a 2.5 it's suggested to do two changes, you could do two 50% changes or around that. But the most important thing is to suck up that Betta poo since that's where most of your ammonia will be coming from :) Hope this helps
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #22 
Ghostery

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
what brands did you get?

The most suggeested on here is New Life Spectrum (which has garlic that pretty much all Betta fish love and is good for them) and Omega One Betta Pellets. You could also try any FROZEN bloodworms, as long as they are not freeze-dried you'll be set :)

Cycling is a bit hard in any tank under 5 gallons. It's not impossible, but it's nearly more work to do, so if you are getting anything under 5 gallons you don't necessarily need to cycle it. Just keep up with water changes, usually for a 2.5 it's suggested to do two changes, you could do two 50% changes or around that. But the most important thing is to suck up that Betta poo since that's where most of your ammonia will be coming from :) Hope this helps
I just took the ones I already had at home, the one that says its suitable for tropical fish and bettas. I dont know but I dont think we have such brands here in Msia :( I'll go check. Most brands here are Japanese or Local.
It's even harder to find a turkey baster here since not many people use it.

And yes I'm planning to buy a 5-gall tank divided into 2, so 2.5gall for each fish. I have a question-- How does cycling help the fish?

Thanks lil for your patience! I'm a total noobie at this ><
Ghostery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #23 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh right, sorry I forget that people live elsewhere besides UK and US >< You might be able to find them online if you have access to a credit card. I'm sure there has to be a Japanese equivalent or something. Just looking at the ingredients will help. The things you want to watch out for are Fillers like Wheat and other grains. Anything like Fish meal, shrimp meal, those are good.

Cycling a tank helps the fish because there are three things that can build up: Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Cycling a tank is growing a colony of Beneficial Bacteria that keeps those levels all down to safe levels. Without your BB the tank could fluctuate very quickly which is harmful to your fish. So growing that BB helps keep your fish safe, thus is why we do it :)

And no worries! We were all noobs as some point haha, I like to share the things that I've learned so that maybe other's won't make the same mistakes that I made, but it's always difficult since everything is so mis-marketed and LFS's don't always give correct information.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #24 
Darth

I would feed frozen over pellets or flakes..Bloodworms, daphnia, tubifex etc.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #25 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

^ Not everyone can get at it, I know half of my LFS's don't carry it so I'd have to special order Frozen foods of which I don't have the money for yet.

But yes, you can do frozen foods as well. Don't get anything freeze-dried though, they may be high in protein but lack everything else for Betta's, you can however feed them as a treat maybe once a week. But it's usually healthier to stay away from them :)
Old 05-16-2013, 11:57 AM   #26 
Darth

Have you seen the liver formula from Elite Betta? That is amazing stuff it also has garlic to stimulate appetite.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #27 
Ghostery

King's head is losing its color again -.- (becoming grey-ish? and having some black spots on it)
But no behavorial change. He's swimming up and down and up and down, very active. Eating.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #28 
Darth

That is a sign of Mycos..anything that it comes in contact with must be cleaned with hospital grade Lysol, bleach will not kill it and neither will boiling water//Sherolyn has a whole article dedicated to mycos at Betta Source..85% of petstore fish carry mycos, your whole fishroom must be stripped and you stock destroyed.
Symtoms are color loss patches, frayed fins, wasting away, loss of appetite and lessions.
The symptoms may not be apparent but the wasting away is a sure sign, there is no cure.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #29 
Darth

Here is an article that will help explain Mycos.

http://bettasource.com/forums/topic/...ria-questions/
Old 05-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #30 
Ghostery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
That is a sign of Mycos..anything that it comes in contact with must be cleaned with hospital grade Lysol, bleach will not kill it and neither will boiling water//Sherolyn has a whole article dedicated to mycos at Betta Source..85% of petstore fish carry mycos, your whole fishroom must be stripped and you stock destroyed.
Symtoms are color loss patches, frayed fins, wasting away, loss of appetite and lessions.
The symptoms may not be apparent but the wasting away is a sure sign, there is no cure.
King's got so many problems consecutively.. and now he's (i think?) got this incurable disease...
He's not showing signs of legarthy or anything, he's eating (but very picky at what he eats, i had to crush guppy food cuz he wouldnt eat his betta food), active, swimming around, and he responds to me
I'll post some pictures later if he manages to keep still for 2 seconds.
Just to confirm.
Thanks Darth