Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2013, 07:01 AM   #11 
LittleDeer

I do thank you and respect your opinion, Darth. Although I did initially say in my post I was specifically adding Cories, not live bearers or other mid level fish. I also have absolutely no intention of breeding Bettas (referencing your post saying "the best companion for a Betta is breeding time with another Betta"), so having that type of companionship is not going to happen unfortunately. I do not have the knowledge nor the space or resources to breed and care for 100+ Bettas and then separate them all. And I would definitely not feel comfortable selling them to anyone but people I know will care for them properly, and that would be a difficult feat with limited space and 100+ fish. At most I will have one Betta in each of the five varying sized tanks I have. Possibly a sorority in my 30 gallon once I feel comfortable and confident that I get females that will be comfortable with eachother. But I'm not near that level of confidence in my fish keeping abilities yet. Plus I would have to actually cycle the 30 gallon before even thinking about it, and I still don't even know if it holds water yet. But for now I'm happy with my group in my ten and they seem happy as well. And if anything should ever go wrong I have several other tanks to move fish to if I have to. Like I said, nothing should go wrong but I am prepared to take necessary actions if I need to. And I am pretty good at judging when my animals are stressed, regardless of species.
LittleDeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well spoken LittleDeer. But yeah, they should be fine together :) Let us know how it does turn out.

And hey! If you ever need advice on a sorority, I've got 9 girls (soon to be 11) in a 33 that's been set up for a month and a half now ;D Love me some Betta girls!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #13 
Darth

Even in Betta sororitys there is a pecking order and territory boundaries.
Females get along, but they Can and DO fight, and sometimes it gets intense.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yup I know.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #15 
LittleDeer

If I do need sorority advice, I'll definitely talk to you lilnaugrim's. I do thank you very much for offering your advise and expertise :)

I'm going to be getting a couple more Cories today. I'm getting them from the same shop I got the rest of my fish from, and this place takes excellent care of their animals and are very knowledgable about them. So I'll hopefully be getting some nice happy, healthy little guys. I have my fingers crossed they have Bandits. They don't usually have many, if any. But I know they got more fish in the other day. I'm so excited. I have a friend coming to help me pick out the best ones because I can be very indecisive.

I'll let you guys know how the introduction goes later :)
Old 05-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh good, glad to hear :)

Make sure you get the same type of cory you already have. Generally mixing them is bad because they won't shoal together. However there have been some exceptions (but what is a rule without exceptions?). So if you do have Bandits, keep with the bandits :)
Old 05-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #17 
LittleDeer

Definitely keeping with the Bandits for now. I don't know why but they're my favorite type. Although I do like Leopards as well. I just really hope they have some Bandits. I took the last of what they had of them when I first got my pair and the last time I visited to get another plant and some more food I only saw albinos and bronzes. But with ther new shipment they should have some I think.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ah okay, just making sure! :D Yeah Bandit's are adorable! I love Skunk's too but my ultimate favorites are Dainty Cory's (Corydoras Habrosus) they're just so cute and spunky! And they love to play in the sand in my 33.

Well good luck! I hope they have the shipment in!
Old 05-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #19 
LittleDeer

All seems to have gone pretty well with the new Cories. I ended up getting three more so I have a group of five. Benny isn't being agressive although he has flared at the new ones a few times. But hasn't tried to hurt them and is mostly ignoring them. However the two I had before seem to be sticking together and the other three are kind of staying in their own little group.

Only problem is, one of the new ones seems to have a pectoral fin completely missing and most of the other one. I don't notice this until I got them home. He seems to be getting around okay so maybe he will be alright. But if he isn't I have my receipt and I can bring him back and exchange him for a healthy one if he dies or doesn't seem to be doing well over the next five days. He does seem to separate himself from the group a lot too. I can't tell if he is injured or if he is actually deformed. I'm keeping a close eye on him. If he'll be fine, I don't want to bring him back just so that no one will want him because he's a bit handicapped.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #20 
Sena Hansler

There are times bettas can be with fish like tetras and whatnot... However... You have to be careful and always have a backup plan. I got two "semi aggressive" gouramis, and haiwaii platys. Those darn platys pestered my poor gouramis to death! And the gouramis were twice their size....... -.-; THAT right there proves how dangerous it can get. I have had regular platys before and loved them. These ones? Nuh uh! They found a home so I could make a sorority instead. (In the sorority three plakats were removed for violence x.x). Bettas, are by far one of the hardest fish to find the compatability for. Especially when they have their own individual desires, and quirks.

Spartan was fine with most fish, as long as they did not pester him. This included danios, who learned he was boss and left him alone. But would I try that again? Probably not... Mainly because they take up the same water space. Top level. Bettas tend to stay near the top but travel all over.

Best matches: Bottom dwellers. African dwarf frogs, cories, and shrimp. However, cories tend to love more space... Longer the better. Besides their bioload, they are skittish, and can cause harm to themselves by panicking... and do best in groups of 4+. I'd love to get some again!! ADFs are nice, and again better in numbers (socializing). I have had one munch the fins of my betta though... x.x Shrimp, are usually delicious snacks!

But, it depends on your betta :3 If you can, try getting a 20-30 gallon, to hold the bioload of what you have, plus the extra few cories you get. Easier on you and them :)

Forgot to add... I treat adding new fish like adding a female to the sorority. I rearrange the decor during a water change, may or may not place the betta in a breeder's box/net which is not always necessary.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 05-18-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote