Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #1 
Darkicydevil

New Betta Just sitting at bottom of the tank!

My new betta I got last night just sits at the bottom of my tank. He moves around some, but he is always on the bottom. He occasionally comes up for air then goes right back down to sitting on the bottom. He isn't moving very much and Im worried since he isnt that healthy.

My water and temp is fine, he is just not moving! I know it was late last night and so he might be tired, and he is also stressed, but he was unhealthy looking when I got him. I dunno if he is ok!
Darkicydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #2 
Darkicydevil

Here are some pictures:

in the last one you can kinda see he is just leaning against the glass. He swims around some, but he always stays toward the bottom. I thought that they liked to be more toward the top???

Old 05-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #3 
Crowntails

How warm is the tank? What are the water conditions? Even though you said they were fine, we need to know what they are.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #4 
Darkicydevil

temp is 78, and test strips say nitrate is nitrite is .5 and between 0-20. I added a bottle of Tetra Safe Start in my 10 gallon tank where he is the ONLY fish, so everyone online has said tetra safe start and 1 fish in a large tank has cycled their tanks well. (i couldnt get ammonia anywhere locally to do a fishless cycle)

he swims around and acts fine somewhat, but he just always stays near the bottom. I thought they liked to be at the top?

He still seems very stressed and abnormal.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #5 
Darkicydevil

He isnt sitting there anymore, he is just constantly chasing his reflection. So I guess he was sleeping....?
Old 05-15-2013, 06:58 AM   #6 
Juditko

Welcome to the forum. He certainly is pretty! Don't hesitate to post if you have other questions...lots of knowledgeable people here.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

He could have just been sleeping. Do you have anywhere at the top he can rest like a plant or a betta hammock? Once the lights go off at my house, everyone goes to sleep :) It looks like you didn't have your lights on so he was most likely just sleeping :)

By the way, you picked a beautiful boy!!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #8 
Briz

Looks like he was either sleeping or simply resting from his big move. It can be stressful for them! He doesn't look sick, like my betta was when I got him.

Briz is offline   Reply With Quote