Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #21 
Greylady

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I just did a quick google on Eco Complete and one of the Australian sellers has this:

It doesn't look inert, unless this is not the one you are talking about?
Let me check again where I saw that it said it was... maybe Im mistaken, BRB
Greylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:50 AM   #22 
Greylady

QUOTE=LittleBettaFish;2099161]I just did a quick google on Eco Complete and one of the Australian sellers has this:

It doesn't look inert, unless this is not the one you are talking about?[/quote]

Let me check again where I saw that it said it was... maybe Im mistaken,

"eco complete is inert hard sediment. So it never needs replacing, however, it can be cleaned and deep vac'ed every 1-2 years or so.Particularly when you have a high bioload like discus.I'd deep vac 1/3 of the tank and replant and rescape each section every week or two.Do not try and do it all in one go, do little bit each week.Regards,*Tom Barr"

It was in a website thetombarrreport...in answer to someone asking if he needed to replace his eco complete after a year...
Dont know, so much conflicting info! Lol
Old 05-20-2013, 12:54 AM   #23 
LittleBettaFish

I have never actually used it before or had any experience with it. Maybe someone who has can answer your question.

Wait, read this on Tom Barr's site:

Quote:
Has the chemicals, but they are not biologically available in a meaningful way
Sounds like some other products I have read about (ADA included).
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:55 AM   #24 
Greylady

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...trate-How-come

I saw it here
Old 05-20-2013, 12:57 AM   #25 
Greylady

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I have never actually used it before or had any experience with it. Maybe someone who has can answer your question.

Wait, read this on Tom Barr's site:

Sounds like some other products I have read about (ADA included).
Cool, thanks!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:02 AM   #26 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah someone did a test on some of the ADA substrate additives, and one of them (tourmaline I think it was) was actually non-soluble and didn't provide any benefits at all.

It might be that these nutrients are present, just not in a form that can be used by plants.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:12 AM   #27 
Greylady

This is interesting too...another take on the whole substrte, fert situation.... :)

"You should look at this from the other side. Its not about ADA AS depleting eventually. that would suggest that it is the sole nurtient supply. ADA AS has high CEC and therefore if you are using it in tandem with sufficient water column dosing then it is continuously replenishing itself. It never depletes in that case.Tropica go one further and supply high CEC clay with zero nutrient addition. You are buying the 'sponge' and when you water column dose the 'sponge' sucks in some of the nutrient.So don't worry about depletion or substrates being inert. Concentrate on high CEC substrates coupled with water column dosing and you'll always have both sources actively supplying nutrient both to leaves and to roots. The plant can choose its source then if not useboth"
Old 05-20-2013, 01:34 AM   #28 
LittleBettaFish

Most of the clay based soils (I think Seachem Flourite is one) have a high CEC. I think that's why clay kitty litters are used by some people as substrate in their tanks.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:08 AM   #29 
jentralala
Reference Team

I had Eco Complete for awhile under Flourite, and I honestly wasn't impressed by it at all. Plus for me it was a pain in the butt to plant in, but that's just me :p

I'd also like to caution you with capping Eco Complete with sand- because sand is generally much finer than the EC, it can fall through the gaps and 'push' the EC on top of it, eventually reversing itself in a way. I had this happen to me, and it was really annoying. I've heard of people doing it successfully but that wasn't my personal experience.

I think that Flourite Black Sand is just crushed up Flourite chips, so maybe that's why I have good growth with it, in tandem with my slight over fertilizing.

You could also go the route of a NPT (soil based tank), although I'm not sure if that's safe if the tank already has fish in it...soil has to stabilize before fish can be added, from what I've heard.

Anyways, sorry for the ramble! Good luck with whatever you choose to do, and I hope to see pictures! :)
jentralala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #30 
ao
TFK Moderator

i thought flourite has a low cec XD you guys just gave me a reason to read up more on substrates :)
ao is online now   Reply With Quote