Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #1 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Tumour?

So Winter my white delta boy had a strange lump on his a nail fin that I should have posted about but didn't... It wasn't causing him pain and he was being more active, he is kind of going blind, usually lethargic, and chews his tail but he is still my baby. So I didn't think anything of it because he was doing good.
Yesterday during feeding I realized it had gotten a lot bigger and seemed to extend into his body. His body a around the base of the lump is whiter and doesn't seem right. I a have a bad feeling about this but he is old and has lived very happily with me. I ge the feeling this might be the end of his life because it doesn't look good. I tried getting pics but they are not great. Yesterday the top was almost what appeared to have blood coming out of it. Part of it now seems to have fallen off.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 81* (he likes it a bit warmer and it more active if it is cooler he gets really lethargic)
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega 1 pellets and sometimes a live white worm
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day three or four pellets, he doesn't eat much

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? A drop of Prime water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I haven't tested my water
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has a lump that appears to be spreading
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He today and last night stayed in his decoration only coming out once in a while for air
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A week ago the little lump appeared
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Haven't started
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He is a tail biter, going blind, and lethargic but otherwise has always bee healthy.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1.5 years he was older when. First got him from the pet store.

Please help if you can, I love this fish to bits.
Attached Images

BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'm sorry about Winter! I can't see where the lump is, is it possible to get a front picture so we can see it protruding? Or a closer picture at all? Possibly lure him with food? lol
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #3 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Look in the pic on his top fin closest to his head, can you see it? I will tr get a better pic later.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oooh, are you talking about his dorsal fin? Sorry, in your post you said 'a nail' which I assume was 'anal' fin.

It doesn't look too bad, from here at least, and if I remember correctly there isn't anything you can do for a tumor? I remember using epsom salt to make them a little more comfortable but this one doesn't seem like it's going to inhibit him from doing what he normally does.

I think watching him like a hawk over the next few days while taking pictures so you can determine how fast of a growth it is, will help a bunch. But so far doesn't look like anything that will hurt him eventually.

We can wait to see if anyone else comments as well, if they have any other suggestions :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #5 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

M iPad does some pretty crazy thing lol. Dorsal fin yes.part of it broke off so it is smaller today.
There is nothing I can do if it is a tumour but I wanted to make sure it is, I will watch carefully the next couple days and keep updating.
Thanks.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

That looks like it could very well be a tumor. Your care is near perfect and he is old so there is not much you can do but make him comfy. It sucks that tumors seem to becoming more common. Just out of curiosity, is he a dragonscale?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #7 
logisticsguy

Hmm. It looks like a cyst to me or possibly a water pocket. I would up the aq salt or treat with a med for external as you don't want it to get infected. It could be a tumor but I would treat as a cyst first.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

If it is a cyst or a water pocket you would want to use Epsom salt and not aq salt.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #9 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Thanks guys! Will try that. Maybe hope isn't lost after all.