Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #1 
RedWhiskey

Egg like things on bottom

So I have a female Betta and I just noticed she has these tiny white egg like balls laying at the bottom of her tank. I thought that if she did lay eggs that they would float, or is that wrong. Also she has this white sediment on her head and front half on her body. the only thing I put in the tanks is a Ph reducer but I always make sure not to put to much in when I clean her tank.
Any idea whats going on
Thanks
Jessica
RedWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hey there Jessica. Female Betta's will drop their eggs occssionally if she's in sight of a male, the eggs do drop and don't float. So she will probably eat them up in which case don't feed her normally. The only time they "float" is when the male picks them up and puts them up into his bubble nest and cares for them.

Can we get a picture of this "white sediment"?

Also you should stop using the pH reducer, it's only going to cause more stress on her and your other fish when the pH swings back up, it can also shock your fish. Betta's are pretty hardy when it comes to pH levels and will do fine in anything from 6 to 8.2. :)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #3 
RedWhiskey

Sorry this is my first time posting pictures so this might not turn out but thanks for helping me out with this the only reason I was doing the Ph was because I'm in a college dorm and I'm not sure what the Ph level is here..........But here are a couple pictures of her from the front and the side I really hop the pictures work....Jessica

[IMG]20130513_160435.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]20130513_160433.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh, you should definitely get some sort of test kit or at least the pH and Ammonia test kits for her so you know she will be safe and happy :) You can find most of them at a Pet shop or online.

And no, the pictures didn't work, looks like you are uploading from your computer? There is the option to "Go Advanced" click that then scroll down until you see Upload Attachments or something like that then you can browse your files for the pictures and upload them that way.

I also use Photobucket and upload my pics there and then when you click on those pictures they have four coding options on the side, the last one is the IMG coding and you can paste that right into the text box here.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #5 
RedWhiskey

Ok I'm gonna try the pictures again
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #6 
RedWhiskey

And I did notice her water is a little cloudy but I changed water friday and usually isnt cloudy after 4 days but I'm gonna change out the water and clean her tank later today
Old 05-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh gosh, that looks like some fungal infection or some heavy velvet going on. You need to post this into the disease section right away.

I would put her in a quarantine container (if she lives with other animals or in anything bigger than a 2 gallon) so that you can treat her easier. For now, if you have it, I would use 3 teaspoons of dissolved Aquarium Salt to help either get rid of what she has, or ward off anything else and hopefully stop this illness in it's tracks. If it is possible, can you raise the temperature up to about 85 degrees? That will help kill fungal stuff, but if it's bacterial we're going to need some more help.

So I would post those pictures in the Disease section so you can get some other help on treating her a.s.a.p.!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #8 
RedWhiskey

Oh wow I didn't think it would be that bad!! I'll go do that right now