Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #1 
Ghostery

***[URGENT] Is this Fin Rot?

Ive only just noticed this after posting my last thread for help.
Sorry for the spam :( but...
...Is this Fin Rot?
I've speculated some other problems that might be happening to him as well in my last thread.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=177394

I need urgent answers to the following questions please:
Chlorine prob---> should I move it to a 10 gallon aquarium that's already housing a goldfish and other unknown tropical fish(small size)? (It's got a filter, cycle, and the temperature's fine.)
Epsom salt--> should I get some from my school laboratory (Magnesium Sulfate) ? (is it going to work/ be safe for my fish?)

I'm afraid it'll die :(
Ghostery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #2 
jadaBlu

I am not sure what you mean I just lost an elephant ear that looks like this one last night and rather suddenly. Interesting since you are in Malaysia. Where did you purchase your fish? Look at my album. The color looks normal except possibly around the gill covers.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #3 
Ghostery

I bought my fish from a shop my dad frequents which sells mostly big fish like Koi and some others like Goldfish. ( It's kinda like a marine farm than a shop, it has pools and pools of fish, not in aquariums unless they are tropical fish or goldfish.)
Pet shops (with air-con and nice floors and whatnot) sell fish at higher prices, and i rarely ever go to such shops.

And yep, kinda lucky to be here in Msia cuz u dont really have to buy a heater, since room temperature's just fine.

Anyways, King, at the moment, is behaving like how Rivaille did when he was near death. (Who died this morning) He also lost his colour (not as vibrant anymore)
1. Hanging in the corner on the surface (almost vertical position)
2. Zipping around when it comes down for change of water
3.Showing signs of legarthy
4. Not eating for at least 24 hrs already
I have no idea whats the problem and i really think I should move King now, immediately to the 10-gall tank. Should I??
Ghostery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

Could you maybe get another big glass container like a jar? I think you risk making your goldfish sick if you put them together. My Elephant ear behaved the same way before dying last night. This is why I am really curious of the supplier because your fish looks so identical to mine. He might a have disease going into this line of fish. If you go with your dad see if you can get a casual converstation going about if the supplier ships to the USA. Does the supplier keep Bettas in aquariums? How are the fish doing that look like him? The only thing I can think of is Methylene Blue for your fish. He's gasping for air and this stuff gets rid of nasty build up, oxygenates tissues in the blood and treats a number of issues. You might have to go the the more expensive pet stores to find some. Here in the USA sometimes you might see it in the cups with some of the fish. Maybe they do that there? You won't need a whole lot.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #5 
justmel

I'd say not to put him with the gold fish. I love fish, but I do not believe they are compatible with bettas. I think the ph and everything is different for gold fish than bettas. Maybe float him in the gold fishes tank if you are wanting to make sure the temperature is just right, but not in the actual tank with them.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #6 
jadaBlu

Goldfish normally like colder water though. If you need the betta to be cooler and you make there are no water drips to contaminate the goldfish tank that might work. However, this betta is in a really small .5 gallon tank. I think the goal is to give him more room.