Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #1 
countyrd419

Betta Fish Tank Care

Earlier today I bought a 2.5 Aqueon tank from PetSmart from Coablt who went into shock and died almost as soon as I placed him in his new home. Is there a time limit I should wait before I place my next Betta Fish in this tank?

I will be searching the forums while I wait for an answer.

Thank you BettaFish.com community.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:22 PM   #2 
BettaNubRandyLove

well first I should asked if you cycled your tank. Secondly, Did you acclimate him? I don't know if anyone can really answer until we know.
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #3 
countyrd419

How do you acclimate a male Betta Fish? I installed the filter cartridge in place, then the bottom part, the light and I did treat the water before I place Cobalt in his tank? What did I do wrong? I tried to find answers on the Aqueon website but no luck. I will appreciate any help from the community will I continue searching the forums. Thank you all.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #4 
BettaNubRandyLove

Well something most people do is called cycling. I'm under the impression that with a filter you should cycle the tank. if you are interested in another betta you should check out the sticky. To acclimate a betta you could do 2 things. you could do the easier method of floating your bettas cup in the tanks water to adjust him to the temperature. Or to adjust him to the new water you could do the drip method which is basically adding your new tanks water to the fishes cup every few minutes. some basic care: Unless your house is over 78 I would suggest getting a small heater for your tank. Some bettas struggle with currents so you could baffle the filters intake and out take. There are stickies with many, many topics to help you care for your fish and learn about the tanks. Good luck :)
Old 05-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #5 
BettaNubRandyLove

cycling your tank: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771
Old 05-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #6 
BettaNubRandyLove

Filter baffling: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....=Filter+baffle
Old 05-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #7 
smaughunter

I agree. It sounds like Cobalt died from temperature shock most likely. Since bettas are exothermic a rapid change of more than one or two degrees in tank temperature can cause the fish to go into shock and kill them.

Like BettaNub said the way to temperature acclimate your betta to his new home is to place him in a small cup with his old tank water and float that cup in his new tank for 10-20 minutes (depending on the degree of difference in temperature) before releasing him into the new water. This method is used anytime rehousing a fish or preforming 100% water changes.

The drip method is used when acclimating a fish to water with parameters he is unaccustomed to, such as a variance in ph. It acclimates the fish to not only the temperature, but the new parameters. This method takes longer: 30-60 minutes and requires adding small quantities of the new water to a container containing the old water and the fish in intervals of 5-10 minutes (Or a slow constant drip with airline tubing). when the fish is swimming in water of 75% or more of the new variety he may be released into the tank.

A 2.5 can be cycled but maintaining a cycle in a tank that small is a bit of a pain IMO. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a filter in a tank that size and rely on regular water changes to maintain the quality.
smaughunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:29 PM   #8 
RussellTheShihTzu

You can also float him in his bag instead of a cup.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote