Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Art
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #211 
Fenghuang

Wow, your fish is beautiful. Is he really green?
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #212 
kateee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenghuang View Post
Wow, your fish is beautiful. Is he really green?
Thank you! My best find ever at petsmart :) He's more of a turquoise than green
kateee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #213 
LucidSong

Welcome back Feng. Glad you're feeling better.
LucidSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #214 
alwaysaBettaLover

Feng,
Your work is admirable!! I am so jealous!! On my page I have a betta drawing I did in pencil,(under the " my drawings!" Photo book) but I was wondering since I'm a HUGE artist, if you could give me some tips? Like how to do the scales, eyes, fins,the Body at different angles - sorry, so many questions..)I'm SUCH a perfectionist, so it takes me FOREVER to do a decent drawing I'm satisfied with. Also, am I the only one who has to do it over like, 20 times before I get the perfect thing? Your work seems so easy and flowing...do you do it in only a few strokes, or how??

I'm so embarrassed about all the questions, but I want to ask someone as great as you are and soak in all I can!
Teach me your ways master

Last edited by alwaysaBettaLover; 06-03-2013 at 09:40 PM.
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #215 
Fenghuang

Oh, man... Wow. That's a...heavy compliment. I am hardly a master though. Still learning.

I use a TON of references. For every betta, I go and find multiple pictures. Hunt down all the photos of the fish that have been posted. Search pictures of other fish for anatomical correctness (I'm horrible with proportions, so it won't be perfect, but it is still a hundred times better than what it would be without something to look at) if I'm using other poses.

When I start a drawing, I sketch an outline in pencil first. Figure out the angles and lines. No details at this stage. Here's an example, using the drawing I'm working on now (it is the "No-No's", aka Skyewillow's cats, No-More and No-Less). Ignore the wonky limbs--I took that picture in the first draft to see if Skye would like the poses, before I made the corrections. When I'm lazy, I skip this step. I also don't usually do this for my tribal pieces.

Example:

Next comes the inking. I do the eyes, scales, and basically all the details during this phase. Only one chance to get this part right because I am using pen. If I mess up, I scrap the entire drawing and start over. Most of my drawings take two or three redos because I get really hung up on minor details. I am a perfectionist too.

Colouring is one of my weakness, so it goes however it goes. I spend a lot of time picking the right colour. If you give me a blue fish, I'm going to use multiple shades of blue. I use black and white a lot. I find that everything looks better with shading and highlighting.

After all of that, I still find flaws that irk me. But I don't redo after I complete the colouring. Each drawing takes me about an hour and a half to two hours. I colouring really slowly.

Sometimes, I don't bother with the planning and being careful. Then, you get pieces like this (super messy).

So, um, yeah. That's that. Feel free to ask all the questions you want. I don't mind one bit. I just can't guarantee I have all the answers.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 06-04-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #216 
alwaysaBettaLover

Wow thanks for all the tips! I hardly have a certAin "way" I do it so this gives me some ideas... I hAve been desperate about finding something to draw ,and now I found it!
Thank you feng!
Old 06-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #217 
Fenghuang

Anytime. Be sure to post more of your art. I like your style and would love to see more of your work. :)
Old 06-04-2013, 07:25 AM   #218 
alwaysaBettaLover

Aww thanks!! Definitely will do!
Old 06-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #219 
Fenghuang

The No-No's are inked. Just need to add colour now. Drawing cats feels very different from drawing bettas.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #220 
Skyewillow

YAY! -happy dances- Looking great!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote