Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #1 
ShadyLex

Hello!

Hi, my name is ShadyLex and I'm fairly brand new in the fish keeping hobby. I have come to this forum often in the last few months in preparation of a betta fish. I have a tank set up with some live plants, filter, heater/thermometer, a little red bridge, and a recently bought marimo ball.

I have kept fish in the past but were probably not in the best of conditions. It is only recently (a few months) that I started getting interested in betta fish. It was one of the very first fish I had owned and weeks of research later resulted in me obsessively looking at pictures of betta fish and care sheets for them.

I'm open to advice and suggestions to betta keeping since I'm still fairly new in this hobby. I'll be posting up pictures of my tank in the correct thread right after this post so that you can call see it!

Hope to get to know all of you in the future!
ShadyLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Welcome to the forum! Your setup sounds great but when you post the thread we will be able to tell better.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #3 
ShadyLex

Thanks! I just posted in the betta home topic.

I have a tumblr with all the pictures as well. So I'll link that here as well.

http://shadylex.tumblr.com/post/5038...fish-tank-done
Old 05-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #4 
JohnLaFawnDuh

WOW guess what ShadyLex i started off just like you!
JohnLaFawnDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #5 
ShadyLex

Yay 8D

This is actually my birthday present. I got interested in bettas during college and really wanted one but couldn't because finals. Now that that's over with and I'm in summer break now I splurged on the supplies and set this up.

It was actually my mom that convinced me to get plants instead of silk ones. I was a bit iffy but I bit the bullet and look where it went!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #6 
JohnLaFawnDuh

Nice! What type of betta are you thinking of getting? Hopefully you put up photos of your tank and betta soon i would like too see.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:30 PM   #7 
ShadyLex

I'm not sure actually.

I've been going to my local Petsmart to check out their bettas and they're pretty good for a pet store. I went there a few hours ago and saw some dragonscales, a Halfmoon double tail, and a few nicely colored ones.

At the moment I'm a bit on the Halfmoon double tail side, but those dragonscales at the store were GORGEOUS. I'm waiting until I get this tank cycled in before I go betta hunting.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #8 
JohnLaFawnDuh

Cool. I have a Halfmoon Double too its on my profile picture. Yea i took about a month to fix and buy all the stuff i needed for my tank, then finally after that month i got a betta haha. I did have bettas when i was younger too but i didnt know how to take care of one at all, till last year i graduated high school and got back into them. Did a ton of research before buying a tank and fish.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #9 
ShadyLex

Yeah, did a ton of research before deciding to own one. I was actually sure that my parents wouldn't want one because there was no more room in the house (we filled it all with tables/couches/and 7 Tv, no joke).

Then I kept telling my mom about it and BOOM. Parents are okay with betta fish (on the condition I take full responsibility for it) and I'm looking up diseases and how to cycle a tank.

I'm a little sad that the tank is so big that I can't transport it to college next semester, but that's fine with me.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #10 
JohnLaFawnDuh

what size is your tank?