Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2008, 08:43 PM   #1 
zerlinafish

Any Luck with Revive?

In the quest to help my Betta Ernesto with his Fin problem, I was told that revive by FishVet was a good quick remedy for Fin Rot? A person at Petco recommended it. I have not bought it. If I do get it...I have been using Betta Fix...do I need to do a big water change before using it?

Thanks for the help

Z-fish...and Ernesto.
zerlinafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:51 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have never heard of Revive. I have had some luck with BettaFix when I used it for one of my fish with finrot a couple of years ago. I'm currently treating one of mine with Jungle Fungus Eliminator. I'll see if it does any good.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I just looked up Revive. It said to do a partial water change after 5 days of treatment. Its used for parasites and gill flukes but can also be used for finrot. I would just go with adding it when you do your routine change, whether its partial or full. Good luck with Ernesto.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:28 PM   #4 
zerlinafish

That is why I love this board...ppl helping ppl. Thanks for looking that up!

Yeah....I was just wondering with the BettaFix already in there what to do. So I will do a Partial Change tonight and then add the Revive tomorrow when I get it.

on an interesting note, the PetCo Manager guy said I was keeping him too warm (78-80), and that and the full change I did could have stressed him enough to develop finrot. I do hope it clears up...I have only had him for a month, and he is such a vibrant little character...lives up to his Dictator name...we named him Ernesto after Ernesto Che Guevera...LOL

Z-fish
zerlinafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

That petstore guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Everyone on this forum will tell you that bettas should be kept at 78 to 80 degrees so that would not be stressing him out. Lots of stuff can cause finrot. Dirty water, I think , is the main thing but temperature fluctuations can cause it, too. My first betta got it from temperature fluctuations. My fish are in bowls without heaters and my a/c went out and one of my fish got finrot. The other one didn't. Yes, its nice to have this forum so we can ask people all our betta questions. It was no problem looking it up. I had never heard of Revive and wanted to see what it was for.To me, bettas are very special fish and I would have a dozen if I could. LOL
Old 09-11-2008, 11:17 PM   #6 
tmz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen
Yes, its nice to have this forum so we can ask people all our betta questions. It was no problem looking it up. I had never heard of Revive and wanted to see what it was for.To me, bettas are very special fish and I would have a dozen if I could. LOL
i love this site cos its the most helpful thing i've ever seen. on any profiel i have liek myspace or facebook i put a link to it

bettas are special. like YAAAY
i'd have 847692876q5219348756 if it were even close to possible.
(yes. q is a number.)

i hope your fish gets better soon =( sick fishies are always such a sad time..

i LOVE his name!!!
my plakat is named ivan because he reminds me of a grumpy russian communist XD
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:09 AM   #7 
Flashygrrl

The opinions on the Revive are mixed. To me, there's just too many medicines in there and not enough concentration to actually heal anything and if anything it will probably cause the bacteria to become resistant rendering the stronger treatments near to useless. Kind of like when doctors prescribe antibiotics to people for stuff that it doesn't need to be used for and then they become surprised when it doesn't work later on in life. This is where "superbugs" comes from.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #8 
okiemavis

On the other hand, not enough about most fish illnesses is known to determine exactly what it is. While I'm a big advocate of judicial use of medications, I've also used Polyguard on fish when I've been stumped or think my fish have multiple issues and am worried about drug interactions.

What are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate? pH? For all but the most serious cases of fin rot, bettafix and pristine water quality should be more than enough.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:25 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Okiemavis, what is polyguard?
Old 09-13-2008, 11:37 AM   #10 
okiemavis

Polyguard is a medication by Seachem which treats just about everything...gram positive and negative bacteria, fungus, parasites- it's just a slew of medicines mixed together.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote