Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-12-2008, 12:16 PM   #1 
Tiff&Tim

what is wrong with my betta?

I bought a betta fish for my mom. She is all different colors, very beautiful. I have noticed that she is losing her color at the tips of her top fins. I cant find any information so i was hoping someone here could help me. I dont know that much about bettas so please help. i really dont want to lose her, my mom fell in love with her and named her ayreal like the mermaid. So please let me know what i can do to stop this. She does have a plastic plant and a filter in the tank so im hoping that its just from her rubbing on the plant. PLEASE HELP!!!
Tiff&Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #2 
willow

hello,and warm welcome to you and your mom. :)
can you give a little more information on the tank please.
how big is it,how long have you had it for,
can you say how much the filter makes the water move,as in
does she get pushed around ?
is she feeding and going to the bathroom ?
is she swimming around or sitting on the bottom of the tank
do you add anything to the new water like dechlorinator ?
remove the plant and add silk ones,or a little live one,she should be fine
with those,wash them well with plain water before adding them
to ayreals tank.(the silk ones)
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:03 PM   #3 
okiemavis

Willow's got you on the right track! My #1 guess is water quality issues, or illness which stems from the water quality.

What are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temperature? You can take a sample of your water to the fish store to get it tested for free, although I would recommend getting a test kit of your own.

In the meantime, do a 50% water change (don't remove the fish) and add in water from the same source you used before, dechlorinated and at the same temperature as the tank water.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:30 PM   #4 
Tiff&Tim

Thank you for the welcome. The tank is a 10 gallon tank. I havent had it for too long but for at least a 2 or 3 weeks. The filter does push her around. she is feeding and i guess she is going to bathroom. She swims around and is very active. I do not add anything to the water. Thank you for the advice. :) can she have more than one plant? aslo the tank does not have a lid on it. Should it have a heated lid or does it matter? What kind of test kit do i need? i have never used any kind of chemicals in a fish tank before. I am new to it all.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:57 PM   #5 
iamntbatman

If you're using any sort of tap water that's not well water, you should be adding a dechlorinator to the water that you add at every water change. I use Tetra's AquaSafe.

I strongly recommend getting a lid. Bettas, especially females, are known to be jumpers. I've never heard of a "heated lid" but you should also have a heater, as bettas need a stable temperature of 78-80 in order to thrive. Lower temperatures make them lethargic and greatly compromise their immune systems.

Every aquarium owner should have a good test kit. Avoid the paper test strips at all costs - they're very inaccurate and end up being quite expensive. A good liquid test kit is a much better option. Many of our members use API's Freshwater Master Test Kit. It's a good balance between accuracy and user-friendliness. Most pet stores sell it for around $30, but you can get it for half that price at online aquarium supply stores such as Drs. Foster and Smith or Aquariumguys. The test kit should last a long time, and it will provide you with the tools you need to keep your water quality pristine. Poor water quality is the cause of many fish illnesses.

You can (and should!) have many plants in the tank. Definitely avoid plastic and go with either silk or live. Live plants can take some extra care but have a lot of benefits. Java fern and java moss are pretty easy to care for and won't require expensive lighting, fertilizers or CO2 injection to survive.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:34 AM   #6 
willow

yep. :) all of that ^^ and you should have a happy fish.
the filter though is another cause of problem..........
if shes getting pushed around then the flow is too strong,
is there a little nozzel to turn the flow down ?
Old 09-14-2008, 01:06 PM   #7 
Tiff&Tim

there is no nozzle to slow the flow but i noticed that if i keep the water at a certain level it doesnt push her around as bad. Thank u again for the advice. im fixing to go to a pet store in mobile al. to get a lid and plants. also we have well water so it does not contain chlorine.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #8 
willow

well if that works well for you and your Betta,then
that's good.
happy shopping,hope you get what you want.
:)
Old 09-14-2008, 03:06 PM   #9 
iamntbatman

I did a little research just now, and from what I read B & B Petshop on Cottage Hill Road in Mobile is pretty much the best place in town when it comes to fish, but you might also want to check out Pet Supplies Plus on Hillcrest.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote