Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #1 
HayrideHaunter

Wow hello

Hi guys! Gosh it has been FOREVER wow. I couldn't even remember my login -.-...

So updates...I don't recall if I had my HM, Jackson, yet when I was still here...I know I had Emanon, my VT. Those two, may the rest in peace, passed on. Sadly, college took over my life, and the routine required to keep my baby boys healthy sort of fell apart. They were gone within weeks of each other =(

My parents knew I was sad...and my little bro has a 14gal with a few fish and a golden mystery snail. I love the snail so I came home one night to my old 2.5 with 2 of em inside! I nearly cried. Stress + dead fish I miss + act of kindness = small mental breakdown.

At any rate I named them Jekyll and Hyde...Hyde has passed on sadly since then.

Jekyll was neglected (god im such an awful fish parent lately =( ) for a good month...I managed to sort of forget about the little guy. He lived quite well off of the marimo ball and the good amount of algae.

Last weekend I graduated, yay! I now have my BS in Studio Art. Since being done I cleaned Jekyll's tank real well. I left algae coating the back wall after cleaning the toxic stuff out of the tank and he happily scoots along and munches it still. I've read in plenty of places that algae is not harmful so long as its kept under decent control and the tank is otherwise clean. I gave him a bit of lettuce too.

His shell is pretty green now. He's a golden so he was once bright yellow. His body is much healthier looking, creamy yellow with some dark gold speckles, like he did when I first got him. His shell is just dirty looking. I read cleaning eggshells real well and dropping a couple crumbles in the tank will help add calcium either to the water or for him to munch. I've done that and we'll see how it goes.

I don't recall how I was addressed here, funny enough. Its been a while, and I have done a lot of self discovery and a lot has changed. So here I am again, concerned for Jekyll and re-introducing myself.

Hello BF.com!

~DG
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:56 AM   #2 
HayrideHaunter

Uhm...any snail lovers out there? could use advice!
Old 05-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #3 
HayrideHaunter

Nobody? =(
Old 05-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #4 
Laki

Hi welcome back! (Sorry that I don't remember your name) Sorry to hear about your boys, congrats on your degree!

I'm no expert on mystery snails at all. I only keep nerites currently and I haven't bothered to clean her shell since she got a piece of salvinia dried up on it.. THe plant is still on her shell, like a dried in brown spot now (like, you know plants dry up and die on the glass once the water goes down?)

If you can hold him and keep him in a shallow bucket you could prob clean his shell with a toothbrush. If it doesn't come off right away, crumble some cleaned egg shell to make an abrasive and scrub again really gently. I hope that helps, I'm just making up ideas. I know you can put cuttle bone in (the kind they sell for birds) I tried egg shell once for my ramshorns but I must have done something wrong, the shell turned all black!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #5 
HayrideHaunter

the eggshell seemed to help him fine...but that was like two or three weeks ago Sadly, Jekyll died yesterday =(...RIP little dude...
Old 05-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #6 
eaturbyfill

Welcome back! (:
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote