Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #1 
hdbikersbabe

Betta Fry Question

First, thank you for this site. I use it as my Betta Bible. Second, I have two questions that I need specific details for. I already searched as I did find the answer however I need specific clarification.

My fry are one day free swimming. Well free floating at the top. No longer relying on the bubble nest as a matter of fact there is not much left of that. I don't see many but more than enough for my first spawn.

1. I know in the information that it says to begin dripping water, is it ok to do now?

2. I purchased decapsulated brine shrimp eggs and want to know if this is ok for their food. I have micro, banana and walter worms culturing however not ready quite yet. Of course it depends on when I'm suppose to actually feed them.

Man being a new fry mom sure is stressful. However I love watching them. Our LFS is going to purchase as many as they can handle.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
hdbikersbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #2 
Myates

First few spawns are always stressful, but in the end, very rewarding :)

I start dripping within the first few days.. the key is the amount being introduced. For the first week or so you are going to want 1 drip per 2-3 second at the fastest. Doesn't sound like much, but you don't want big change in chemistry right away with them. By their 2-3 week mark you can up it to a drip every 1-2 seconds and basically just keep it at that from then on.

Once they are at least 2 weeks old you can start to add a bit more water during your siphoning by floating deli cups in for about 15-30 minutes, and start to slowly add in the new water from the cups.. about 1/4 of the water at a time every 5 minutes or so. That way, fresh water is added in a bit quicker to help dilute any stunting hormones. I usually do anywhere from 3-5 32oz cups every other day in a 10g during the 2nd-4th week, along with dripping.

I've never used the decapsulated eggs personally.. I hear good and bad things. All depends on how much work you want to put into it. To me, it just seems a little more work than I would like to have (with multiple spawn/fry, grow outs and many many jars to clean daily/every other day, etc.. I go the simple way lol). I just use the BBS that you place into salted water and let it aerate for about 24 hrs then feed, and the can they come in lasts for well over a year in the fridge or freezer lol

But as far as feeding them, they are fine to feed - some of the smaller fry *may* have trouble eating them at first, but within a week they should all be able to eat the BBS with no problem. Some use BBS as the first foods with no problems. Usually around the 3rd day you will start feeding, but keep in mind some fry will be ready to eat a lot sooner than others as they can be within a days difference in hatching. So look for egg sacs.. once their egg sacs are gone then they are ready to be fed.

Decapsulated eggs-

Dissolve sodium hydroxide in 2.2 liters of water and allow to cool. Do not add hypochlorite until ready to decapsulate. Collect the hydrated cysts in a 125 mesh sieve and drain. Add the sodium hypochlorite solution to the sodium hydroxide and water followed by the hydrated cysts.

This step, in which the chorion is dissolved or oxidized, is exothermic (generates heat); and in order to prevent the solution from exceeding a temperature that will be lethal to the embryos, ice should be added (cubed or otherwise) to maintain a reaction temperature below 100F.

The cyst color should change from brown to gray to white to orange within a few minutes, depending upon the strength of the chemicals and the thickness of the shell or chorion. When the cysts are 90% orange, stop the reaction immediately by pouring the decapsulated cyst solution in a fine mesh bag and rinse well with lots of fresh water.

To assure that the decapsulation reaction is stopped, have a solution of .1 normal hydrochloric acid (HCl) ready to stir into the cyst for one minute. Prepare this solution by adding 65 ml of hydrochloric acid (35% active) into 6.5 liters of water. A weak solution of sodium thiosulfate can also be used to neutralize the chlorine.

Decapsulated cysts that are not used for hatching right away can be stored for later hatchings. Drain or remove all excess water from the decapsulated cysts. Add brine water (300+ ppt salinity) until the cysts are completely covered. The brine water will pull the water out of the cysts or dehydrate them again. If the cysts are to be stored for several weeks to a month, replace the old brine water with new brine water after 24 hours. Store the decapsulated cysts (in brine water) in the refrigerator for up to one month.

Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #3 
Darth

I have never heard of dripping, I just make sure the water is the same temp and add 1 inch per week from a 4 inch deep spawning tank.
I have never done it any other way, what do you drip and from what?
You can never learn to much or something different.

Last edited by Darth; 05-15-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Meant by dripping is siphoning in new water but by letting it drip. Use tube valve to adjust drop per second.

I use drip systems mainly in smaller tanks as they need more water change - as soon as as begin to feed them. My bigger tanks get water changes at later day - not quite drip system but slowly siphoned in.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #5 
Myates

I use anything from large glass jars (the 1 gallon+ size) to clean water jugs, 2 liter soda bottles.. some people use buckets with heaters.. I don't, because the water drips in slowly and if the line is placed over the heater, it won't fluctuate the whole tank.
I add water conditioner and break up a piece of IAL into the container.
Place a portion of airline tubing into the water container that is long enough to go from the container to the tank (have to rig it to stay.. when using the water jugs I rubberband the tubing to the top, the open glass jug you can do the same with larger rubber band, or place something heavy on top.. for bucket (I don't use) but imagine can tape it down or use a clean rock or glass ornament and rubberband the tube to it.
Make sure the container is higher than the tank.. I have a heavy duty shelf running above my spawn tanks to hold the containers (among other items).
Cut the airline tubing anywhere you like - I cut it where I can access it easiest - and I personally just use air control valves (some work better than others - I prefer the blue ones).

Place the air control valve on the top of the bottom portion of the tubing, then suck on the end of the top portion to get the water flowing, and then connect it to the control valve.. then adjust the valve to allow as little or as much water flow/drip as you want.

Similar to acclimating fragile fish to a new aquarium.. let gravity do the work. I place the airline tubing under the lid of the fry tank over the heater just to make sure there aren't any "cold" spots.

This way there is fresh water going into the tank for as long as you want, without it going in too quickly to harm the fry. Using just the drip system can take a while to fill up the tank.. so I use it along with placing in a bit of water every other day or so, basically siphon out a good amount of water, replace with some fresh and allow the drip system to add in the rest/more.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #6 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
d.
I use drip systems mainly in smaller tanks as they need more water change - as soon as as begin to feed them. My bigger tanks get water changes at later day - not quite drip system but slowly siphoned in.
Same - drip for fry tanks, normal water changes for grow outs. It's the first few weeks they are the most sensitive.. basically the drip system helped me be able to keep 550+ fry alive with no deaths their first month. I've noticed when I add in new water in larger quantities to the fry tank, I have found dead fry. Though, by larger I mean a gallon or less at a time. I'm still experimenting on different ways :)
Old 05-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I approximate about 20-30% daily changes - whether change water or just add new water. After a week I could do more (50-70%). after 1 month, 100%.

I agree that fry are very sensitive during the first week and water change/adding should be done slowly.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #8 
hdbikersbabe

Perfect. Just the information I was looking for. I have created a drip system and I'll upload pictures to let everyone see. I'm so crazy about my fish. lol

Also I purchased the decapsulated brine shrimp eggs and the only directions were to let them hydrate for a few with tank water then feed. I am going to use my worms as soon as I can harvest them.

I did not see any egg sacs left. They seem to be floating on the top and then one will dart across the water lol. I didn't get a chance to check on them this morning. I will do that and maybe post a picture because they are all eyeballs lol.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #9 
hdbikersbabe

3 Days Old - Betta Fry - 5-12-13 hatch

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...XM&usp=sharing

Here are the pictures of the betta fry. I realize you guys have seen lots of fry but I'm just so excited.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #10 
Darth

It never gets old HDB.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote