Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #1 
lexyfly

Set up for a new fish!!! Plz help!!

I am going to get a new fish but want to make sure I have everything I need that is absolutely necessary. I have a 1 1/2 gallon tank, filter, food, a plant, a net, and gravel. I don't have a heater but I have a friend who has had the same betta for 8 years and doesn't have a filter or a heater and has only a half gallon betta tank.(plz don't say she is a bad owner she loves her fish and it is very happy)I would prefer not spending a ton more money being that I am still a early teen and don't have a full job yet. Any help or comments would be appreciated!! Thanks!
lexyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #2 
10asartin

I know that some betta fish owners get by without a heater, but that situation is not ideal. I would highly, highly recommend a small heater. The only way it would be okay to not use a heater is if you live in a region with warm temperatures year round.

I have never heard of a betta living for 8 years, are you sure she has had the same one for that long?
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #3 
amzingaly

I think a heater is necesary. Just because a fish has lived a long life that doesn't mean he thrived and was happy. Bettas are hardy fish who can put up with alot but that doesn't mean they shouldn't get everything they need to make them happy.
amzingaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #4 
lexyfly

maybe her fish was replaced at some time without them knowing it but as far as I know he is the same fish. Where I live it is like 60-80 year round so do I still need a heater? Also Is the tank big enough? a lot of people on here have 10 gallon tanks so I was hoping that mine was still a good size
Old 05-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #5 
10asartin

Yes, I would guess the fish had been replaced at some point without her knowledge. Maybe even more than once.

Anywho, considering the ideal temperature range for bettas is from 76-82 I would still say you should invest in a heater not only for when the ambient temperature drops, but also to maintain a stable temperature. Because a frequently fluctuating temperature can be just as harmful as a temperature that is too cold or too hot.

Concerning the tank size. As long as you keep up with frequent water changes you should be okay. I like having a bigger tank because it require a lot less work in the long run, but it is up to you.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #6 
Mr Degausser

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-7-5w-Hea...m+betta+heater

That betta heater is really cheap and worked perfectly fine on a small 1 gallon QT tank I was using. Definitely worth the investment.
Mr Degausser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #7 
lexyfly

Smile

Ok if I kneed to get one to make Mr. Betta happy I would be glad to give him one!! Also could I give him pellets and still make him happy? I have seen a lot of people that feed them blood worms or something. Is this something I need to do or are pellets fine?
Old 05-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #8 
Fin Fancier

Your betta will appreciate the heater :). I started without one last summer and got it just in time for winter. There were a few days I'm pretty sure they would have died without them. Though I did a good job of keeping the house constant, that doesn't mean everyone else was so fish friendly.
I highly recommend a good pellet like omega one betta buffet (found at petco) or new life spectrum betta food (found at petsmart). My bettas get 4 omega one pellets once a day, but a lot of members do 2-3 pellets twice a day. The pellet should be the stable of the diet (think of it as the meat and veggies), while the bloodworms are a treat (like dessert).
Fin Fancier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #9 
lexyfly

Ok great!! I appreciate your help!! I will post pics when I get Mr. Betta
(or Mrs. betta but they have smaller fins and I <3 big fins lol)