Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #1 
osromatra

treating for ick in a 20G sorority

Ok, I am not even 100% I saw ick, but I treated anyway. Heat has been 85-86* since Friday, and I intend on going 2 weeks at that temp. Also, I put in 4 Tbsp of Aq Salt.

What I saw was a single white speck on one girl. It was there for over 24 hours, and I decided it must have not been just a bubble, so I upped the heat (from 79* to 85* over the course of 3 days, so really, it's only been 85-86* since Sunday night). The spot went away within a few hours of the salt being added, and I have not seen any since.

I have not siphoned/WC yet, as I thought it would be less stressful and easier to maintain the temp if I didn't plus, I didn't want cross-contaminate. I figured the heat and salt should kill them, theoretically, and I'll do a BIG WC, complete with a good gravel vaccing, at 10 days (for the salt). Maintain the temp at 85* for a few more days, then at 14 days, do another decent size WC.

Does that sound sufficient? I checked my parameters, all are perfect and there is only 5 for nitrates. It's very planted and there are 7 females in there, plus 3 adult mollies and 3 juvenile mollies. I was about to donate the juvies but I won't in good conscience do so knowing they might have something like ick until I've knocked it out for sure.

Thanks!
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay, here's what I did for my 33 gallon.

(as you already did) raised the temp up to 86 over a few days.
I did a 40-50% water change every day for about five days so that it made sure there was NO free floating ich left.

I had to use Kordon's Ick Attack because the recommended amount of salt is 1 teaspoon per gallon and I couldn't keep doing 33 teaspoons of salt, lest it be gone lol. So I went and got the Ick Attack and used it at double dose so I was doing 6 teaspoons per gallon. With this med, you don't need to do a WC every time you dose but I wanted to make sure to remove any free floating particles.

However up at those temps Ich will not survive and it will be no more than a week before your Ich is gone. So in your case, I would do two big water changes (as you indicated) but do it within the week period. Add in the correct amount of salt that you took out and then a few days later do another one. And then slowly let the temp fall after the 7th day. There's no need to go two weeks and that might stress your fish out more actually.

I hope that helped a bit? If not, feel free to ask away :)
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #3 
osromatra

Thanks! I have access to the Ich Attack stuff, but I was thinking since it was just one spot I saw, and not even certain that's what it was, I wanted to treat conservatively. I also wasn't sure how the med would do with the cycle or my plants.

Today is day 6 of the salt and day 4.5 of the increased temp. The bettas are fine and swimming great, eating fine, no other signs of illness. But my mollies are not doing so well. One specifically, he's always been one to get a swim bladder issue when it's too warm or if the water is off in any way, and he is swimming weird again. He has to swim twice as hard, so he's losing weight (eating less and working harder plus the heat I suppose is upping his metabolism) so the sooner I can bring it down, the better. He's still doing good, like I said, he is still eating, has a good activity level, no other signs of illness, even trying to mate with his girls still, but I know he isn't happy right now.

Thanks again for your advice!
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh yes, the Ich Attack won't harm your cycle or your plants (reason I used it since I do have so many plants) I did however, take out some of the more delicate ones but for the rest I just left it in or left them floating so I could vacuum the sand easier. And the reason I didn't want to salt was because that will harm your plants, most FW plants can't stand the salinity, and I had so many so that's why I chose Ich Attack. And plus, it was just so much salt to use.

And that's good about the girls! I would definitely start bringing that temp down, starting tomorrow since it will be day 7. Ich will not survive longer than a week when it's just the temp up high, but with the added salt, it will help kill it faster :D

Yeah, I had a similar problem with my Dainty Cory's during this, they got a lot more lathargic because of the higher temps, and generally they don't like anything over 76 anyway so being up at 78 was like their max temp, but I had to do it. They all survived with the week anyway, but I felt kind of bad ><

If you feel the need to continue the treatment any longer, it might be helpful to remove that Molly if you have a spare container or tank so that he won't be as stressed? If not, I'm sure he'll be fine, just wanted to offer something else if it came down to it.

But I was the same way, I saw one little white spot on my oldest girl and pretty much freaked out and went into overdrive lol But everyone's happy and healthy now :D
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote