Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2013, 06:02 AM   #1 
karenluvsbettas

Exclamation Fin trimming for SEVERE fin rot, advice please!

Ok so my fin-rot nightmare started with an aquarium decor that i bought from petsmart. I noticed that my bettas fins were desintegrating and I couldn't explain myself why. The water was very clean. When i went to do a 100% water change, i noticed the water smelled like nail polish!, i took out the new cave and realized that was the problem, it smelled like chemical. ever since then i think my betta got a secondary infection as fin-rot. So i just kept doing my regular routine and the tail started getting better, then relapse. After that i started with tetracycline and the tail started getting better again......then relapse again!

For the past 3 days, the fin-rot has gotten SEVERE. So severe that i take pictures, and within a couple of hours, there is new desintegration. It has not stopped for 3 days. Now close to 50% of his tail-fin is gone. I am still treating him with tetracycline and aquariu salt. I am so frustrated with the new desintegration that i am giving him a doze and a half of the antibiotic. I know i am probably not supposed to do that, but im really desperate.

I have thought about trimming the tail. My question is, will that really solve anything? wouldn't he just get a new infection? also, i notice he gets holes in the middle of the fin (tail). By the time there is no hole anymore, that means the desintegration has already reached to where that hole/tear was. So being that the desintegration doesn't always start from the edge but from the middle, would trimming solve anything???

Can fin-rot be anything other than bacterial? maybe that is why the antibiotic isnot working?

right now he is in a 5gal hospital container. I read that you should keep the temp at 76 degrees, because higher temperatue encourage bacterial growth. However i live in southern california and have a crappy air conditioner, the water has usually reached 80 degrees during the day.I do 50% water change daily now and a 100% three days ago when the rot got severe.

PLEASE HELP IM DESPERATE!
if the rot reaches the body i will have to euthenize my betta ive never had to do anything like this before!
karenluvsbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #2 
Atena

I found jungle fungus clear to be a better antibiotic. I am also fighting a bacterial infection in betta, have gone through a lot I clouding trimming the tail.

I would not recommend he trimming except as a last resort. It is a traumatic procedure for fish and parent and the recovery is very tough.

You don't need salt if you have antibiotics. Don't overdose him as this could damage internal organs.

Good luck. I hope your recovery is better than mine. :)
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #3 
karenluvsbettas

Thanx for the advice. I'm gonna wait it out longer. It seems that the infection slowed down. I compared pictures from last night to now and there seems to be no new rot.
karenluvsbettas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin rot.