Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2008, 08:45 PM   #1 
Jagz

Hot Room Woes

I'm going to hopefully be getting a betta for my room tomorrow, and I've got everything set up: 2.5 gallon tank, 1/4 inch layer of gravel, de-chlorinated water, a heater, and a safe place to put him that's away from direct sunlight and vents. I even got my fish picked out- he's a real pretty white spade tail (I think) with a blue/violet incandescent sheen and tiny royal blue spot on the tip of his dorsal fin. (I'm going to name him Shiro!) Now, the only problem is, my room tends to get very hot, very often- Even in winter I'll sometimes sweat, be it day or night.. And I live in Minnesota!

My dad says I can't keep Shiro downstairs because he's afraid "He'll stink up the house!" and I'm worried that adding a heater to my already hot room will result in boiled fish. I already keep the blinds down because my computer is in my room as well (which probably contributes to the heat) and turning the A/C up won't help me in a few months when we get snow.

Do I really need the heater?
Jagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:16 PM   #2 
Meatpuppet

what is the temperature of the room and water?
bettas need at least 78 degrees but shouldnt go over 80. if its abouve 80 you can get an electric fan blowing on the tank and that will bring down the temp of the water and the room
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:48 PM   #3 
Jagz

I'd say my room's probably around 75* F most days- 90* F tops- so it sounds like I'll need the heater after all, and probably the fan in the summer. Is it possible to use a regular glass thermometer to measure the temp of the water? (Would it harm the betta to keep it in the tank constantly, I mean)
Old 09-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #4 
onefish2fish

im unsure about using a regular thermometer but you can pick up a def. aquarium safe one for about $2 from petsmart/petco or a LFS that suction-cups to the glass.
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:49 PM   #5 
Meatpuppet

yes theres oodles of thermometers out there. i like the digital type or the glass type where it comes with a suction cup for inside the tank.
i wouldnt get the floating thermometer bucz... it would float all over the place making it hard to read, and dont get the LCD sticker type where you stick it to the outside of the glass- they're useless.
But the plain suction glass one would cost from $2-$4 depending on where you live and how much your LFS wants to rip you off.
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:53 PM   #6 
onefish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatpuppet
how much your LFS wants to rip you off.
well thats a true story.
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #7 
iamntbatman

I wouldn't go so far as to call the LCD type "useless." I've found they usually give a fairly close reading to the glass thermometers, and I absolutely prefer them over glass on tanks with boisterous fish that might break a glass thermometer (or at least knock it loose).
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:25 PM   #8 
Jagz

Sounds good. Thanks a lot everyone!