Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Which tail/color combination do you think would be most in demand?
Chocolate Crowntail 2 7.69%
White Halfmoon 4 15.38%
Mustard Gas Halfmoon 7 26.92%
Metallic Blue Doubletail 3 11.54%
Elephant Ear Halfmoon 3 11.54%
Giant 6 23.08%
Black Orchid Crowntail 1 3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #21 
bettalover2000

white charcoal ct giant

Isn't this one beautiful? I may look into breeding this type of giants in the future!!!
bettalover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #22 
Sena Hansler

Okay, THAT is a pretty fish.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #23 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Wow. That boy is amazing.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #24 
bettalover2000

See what I mean? ;)
Old 05-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #25 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Speaking of demands, long finned giants would be first on the list. But you must think of "back up" and new genes availability. Perhaps start with HMPK giants and move on to other fin type once you get the hang of them.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #26 
bettalover2000

I will start by breeding simple, but I think I would like this type as my "specialty" in the future. :)
Old 05-18-2013, 02:55 AM   #27 
Basement Bettas

I breed a LOT of fish. Have anywhere bewteen 500-1000 fish at any one time and I have yet to make any money doing this. I break even. Or.. the fish pay for themselves. You can breed crazy colored fish and get customers that buy because something strikes their fancy. Or you can be more serious and try to sell to breeders. That will take a financial commitment to showing to establish credentials as a breeder of show quality fish.

The more fish you have, the more time it takes and the more it costs you. Daily water changes on several hundred fish will drive you water bill. And all the heaters will drive the electric. If you do AB all the photography takes a ridiculous amount of time, not to mention creating the ads. Any idea how much time you will spend? I spend 3 hours EVERY night and just about all day EVERY weekend messing with my fish. I enjoy them. If you have kids, spouse of any kind of social life, you have to give up the fish or your family/friends. Blow off a water change because you want to hang with friends or see the latest movie and come home to curled fins or dead fry.

Breed fish you like and try to just breed healthy ones that have a purpose. Too many bettas out there right now not to try and breed good ones. Be prepared for problems and disease.

Breed because you enjoy and have a passion for it. Because you will not make any money at it.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #28 
Sena Hansler

Did you know, as myself and another member had started an online shop site, most of the income will probably come from the materials themselves - breedig supplies, live foods, and general care supplies. Be warned... If you wanted to make money on just the fish themselves, you'll be pricing them way higher than anyone will buy them. A breeder (unknown) in my area had three crowntails and three HMPK sent to the store. Two weeks later there were three HMPK (priced 20.00-25.00) and one CT left. One HMPK should have been culled (dragonscale defect that causes messy scales and prone to diseases) and is STILL there. The other is shiny cream color and will never be bought. The red HMPK I bought because of finnage (pretty good finnage).

Personally, higher market fish are placed online on Aquabid, or even here. Lower market, gets sold a lot cheaper. Thus the lack of money making.

However, if you do only one spawn (heh heh...) you'll need: four tanks. One for the male, one for the female, one to spawn, and one to grow out. I found I liked having about three growouts... Because of amount of fry. A 10 gallon technically should only have at MOST about 8. Because of ammonia and stunting hormones. Next spawn I do, I will be culling down to between 25-50 only. Increases chance of survival and higher growth rate

Just a tidbit for you :3
Old 05-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #29 
Darth

I do noy agree with your 10 gallon logic I have bred for years and used nothing larger than 10 gallon for growouts and have MANY fish that were normal or larger sized.
I also do not agree with the hormone thing, because in the years breeding I have never once seen any fish held back by smaller fish in the same tank, again in breeding do what works for you.
I always made decent money the thing is to breed what the people want to buy, Blacks, oranges, Koi all the more difficult ones this and breeding well formed fish, spend the money for good stock this is the expensive part remember you are going against people like Aquastar, Banglean and many breeders who accidently produce perfect fish!
I will spend up to a hundred dollars for one male to make sure offspring is spectacular, also the real key is the female they determine what form and color is going to show the best.

Last edited by Darth; 05-18-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #30 
Sena Hansler

Well, you do not have to agree. You found what works for you. I had a spawn of 250 (over 300 eggs initially) and I did see the stunting. Comparing them to someone else's spawn, whose fry were twice the size at the same age... It was definitely a factor. It slows growth, and has been proven time and time again. I could never do enough water changes to keep up! If it were a spawn of... 80, then they would have grown faster. (I had two spawns going and had a good comparison).

This also shows, why it is important to find what works for YOU. My method, is probably different that Darth's. Or anyone else on here. Similarities, yes, but still different. It took me a few spawns to find what worked the best for me (shock method).

You "can" make money, but the thing is should people breed FOR money, or FOR the fish? I won't do a large spawn like that again. It took a lot of time and money.

I have also seen overpriced fish with bad finnage. I wouldn't pay that (plus shipping.. Canada sucks for shipping prices...) for a fish that maybe I know the background of, but overall the appearance looks bad. Or a fish who has a weaker immune system. I bred hardy, and I'll do it again once I have settled into my new place.

Also, on the "breed for what they want"... Ask around your area. I used kijiji to ask, and got a good number of replies. People wanted: white, red, yellow, butterfly, cambodian, giant, halfmoon, crowntail, the most. Doubletail is more unlikely to find here and way harder to breed than I even expected...

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 05-18-2013 at 08:49 AM.