Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #1 
JadeAngel

Mickey Mouse platys 5g tank

So I talked to my friend and she's ok with it. Now I just need to sort out the details.

My friend's son is a huge mickey mouse fan. I am going to get him a 5g tank and full set up for mickey mouse platy as a birthday present (come this june)

He is 2, so it will help him learn responsbility (though his mom will be doing the water changes, just with him "helping"). I was doing a little research on platys, to learn how to sex them. I'll only get males to avoid breeding and overpopulation via babies. To make sure they get started well, I am getting everything needed including the tank, filter, decorations, heater, and food.

So how many male platys can be kept in a 5 gallon tank? would 3 be a good number? I can't get a bigger tank because she lives in a trailer so there's not a ton of space. Also, could I throw a couple ghost shrimp in there? or do platys not like them, or would that increase the bioload too much?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #2 
Crowntails

Platys need at least a 10 gallon tank. 5 gallons is way to small IMO.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #3 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Why don't you go with guppies? They are very colourful, males especially and are very cheap, you can buy them sexed in the stores. They can I believe be kept in a 5 gal tank.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #4 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBetta123 View Post
Why don't you go with guppies? They are very colourful, males especially and are very cheap, you can buy them sexed in the stores. They can I believe be kept in a 5 gal tank.
No, it would have to be mickey mouse platys. It's only because they are mickey mouse, and this boy has got to be one of mickey's biggest fans ever. So he'll absolutely adore these guys and actually want to take care of them and be motivated to learn to care for something.

Crowntails, I would get a 10g if I could, but I can't. Like I said above, I can't get bigger than a 5g. I know people prefer to keep platys in 10g, just like people prefer to keep bettas in 5g and up. But I know they can, when taken care of properly, also be in a 5g, I just am unsure about the bioload, so I don't know if 2 or 3 would be the preferable number there. That is what I am asking.

Last edited by JadeAngel; 05-14-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #5 
JadeAngel

Nevermind I figured it out with my friend n.n

Thank you for the advice
Old 05-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

It's not a case of preference - platys are far too active to thrive in a 5 gallon. I'm not trying to be mean or rude, so please don't take it this way, but it simply isn't right to put your friend's son's preference for platys above their welfare. If a 5 gallon is all he can have, get a fish that is appropriate for that - don't put somebody's mere preference above a living creature's wellbeing.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #7 
JadeAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
It's not a case of preference - platys are far too active to thrive in a 5 gallon. I'm not trying to be mean or rude, so please don't take it this way, but it simply isn't right to put your friend's son's preference for platys above their welfare. If a 5 gallon is all he can have, get a fish that is appropriate for that - don't put somebody's mere preference above a living creature's wellbeing.
As I already said. I talked to my friend and we figured out a solution.

I'm not putting anyone's preference above anyone's wellbeing. He's 2, he doesn't even have preferences, just favorite characters
Old 05-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

Jade Angel said that she figured it out with a friend in post no.5. The thread will now be closed.

Please refrain from posting rashly. If things cannot be worded nicely, sometimes it's best to not post at all.
Closed Thread