Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #1 
Betty1

Exclamation Sick betta - help!

Few days ago, I accidentally put my betta in cold water, he almost died because of me but I somehow saved him. He looks sick, he eats but he doesnt move much. And he's got fin rot and I have no idea how to treat him. I put him in a smaller bowl, (1.7 liters of bottled water) now do I have to use aquarium salt? please help me. How much aquarium salt per liter would you recommend? Will he recover? Please, I don't want him to die I love him so much. :( What am I to do?

Last edited by Betty1; 05-31-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Betty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #2 
lady124

well first put him back in the big one and get some aquarium salt to put in the tank. he may not be moving because of pain so if you handle the fin rot first he should be fine.
lady124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:14 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hello Betty1 sorry your little guy is not feeling well. The treatment for using aquarium salt is 1 teaspoon per gallon and just dissolve it some warm water before pouring it into the the bowl he is in. This should help cure the fin rot but do not use it for more then 10 days. Sometimes just clean warm water will do wonders to cure fin rot, it just depends on how bad it is. I am not sure about liter since I only go by gallons but if you need help in finding how much that is you can check out this link, I hope it helps. http://answers.ask.com/Reference/Oth...ers_per_gallon

Do you have a heater is his bowl ?

Last edited by Perseusmom; 05-31-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #4 
Betty1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Hello Betty1 sorry your little guy is not feeling well. The treatment for using aquarium salt is 1 teaspoon per gallon and just dissolve it some warm water before pouring it into the the bowl he is in. This should help cure the fin rot but do not use it for more then 10 days. Sometimes just clean warm water will do wonders to cure fin rot, it just depends on how bad it is. I am not sure about liter since I only go by gallons but if you need help in finding how much that is you can check out this link, I hope it helps. http://answers.ask.com/Reference/Oth...ers_per_gallon

Do you have a heater is his bowl ?
It's summer, so it's hot I don't use a heater :S
Old 05-31-2013, 06:54 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

It's a good idea to use a heater even in summer. After all, summer temperatures can vary hugely, and a heater has two jobs: one to heat the water, one to make sure temperatures don't fluctuate. A stable temperature is important, as fluctuations can stress your betta, and that's the last thing he needs whilst he is sick.

If you can, use tap water with Prime rather than bottled water, as bottled water may not have all the nutrients he needs. If he does have a larger tank, I would return him to that, as the greater volume of water will give more stability in both temperature and water quality. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #6 
Betty1

is it ok if I mix the tap water and the bottled water? :S
Old 05-31-2013, 09:03 PM   #7 
Krys

Yes. Just chlorinate the tap water.
Krys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:08 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

*dechlorinate. :) Chlorine = bad.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:37 AM   #9 
Betty1

so, how much salt do I have to add to half a gallon? can you tell me the exact amount please? his fin rot looks kinda bad. will it heal? :(
Old 06-01-2013, 02:56 AM   #10 
Bombalurina

Half a teaspoon.

Don't worry - as long as the rot is just in fins and isn't reaching his body, he'll be ok. My halfmoon once lost his tail so badly he had literally nothing more than 2mm left. His grew back. Just make sure that the temperature stays a constant 80-82 (warmer water = faster metabolism = faster healing), remains meticulously clean and that there is nothing to stress him. :)