Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #1 
jesssan2442

60w light bulb for plants??

so I have a desk lamp that has a 60w light bulb and I'm wondering if I can grow plants with it!! I don't know how many kelvins (I think that is what K means) it has... its fine if I can't grow plants with it but I really want to grow plants!!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

As far as I understand the Kelvin rating is more how close the lighting is to real sunlight. I believe the higher the Kelvin's the whiter the light and the lower the more yellow if I'm not mistaken. But I do know that 6,500 is closest to sunlight, but that has nothing to do with growing plants since plants will grow under any Kelvin rating.

There was also the 2 watt per gallon rule, but I think that had been debunked as well lol There are so many different lights out there, but if your light is fluorescent, it will grow the plants fine. I assume it's something 10 gallons or under?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #3 
Gallium

Usually the ability to grow plants really relies on how much actual light reaches the plants. For example, if you have a ball of java moss on the floor of an aquarium with a light bulb 40w, that is 12" tall tank, it's going to get more light and grow better than a ball of java moss on the bottom of a tank that is 36" tall with the same lighting.

You don't want to over-light a tank because then you may end up with deficiencies and need to fertilize, which may then require you to use C02. For me, personally, I like low-tech setups. a 10 gallon with 1 20 watt fluorescent tube has always been the perfect amount of light for me, no c02, no ferts needed, and still results in beautiul, lush green plants that don't grow out of control.

What dimensions is the tank?
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #4 
jesssan2442

it is a 3g critter keeper and these are the dimensions of it, 14-1/2-inch long by 8-3/4-inch wide by 9-3/4-inch high. I guess that's a little to strong then! is there a certain light fixture that you recommend? I need something that's relatively cheap...
Old 05-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

No you could be fine if you just backed the light up so it's not right over it.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #6 
Gallium

It should be fine, do what the above poster says and just keep it up a few inches. Alternatively you can buy a small clamp lamp and fix in a 20-40 watt daylight fluorescent bulb and keep it about 6-12 inches from the top of the tank, depending on the light needs of the plants inside it.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #7 
jesssan2442

thanks guys!! I do plan on getting a better light in the future!! I don't have any plants yet but I think I'll stick to plants like

anubias
java fern
anacharis
java moss
amazon sword
and a few others I can't remember
Old 05-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah that looks good to be, you've only got one fast growing plant in there though, I don't know what you intend to do with them or nothing. Anacharis is a fast grower followed by the Amazon sword and Java moss. Java Ferns and Anubias as slow growers (Although one of my giant Java ferns puts out babies like you wouldn't believe and grows as new leaflet from the rhizome each week)

Are you going to be doing any fertilizers or have a soil base or something? The Amazon sword is going to need some sort of root feed, like root tabs since they are heavy feeders. They also can get very big too, like a foot or more :) Which is why I love them in my sorority lol
But yeah, looks like a good bunch of plants
Old 05-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #9 
jesssan2442

what brand of root tabs do you reccommend?
Old 05-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I actually have no idea since I still have yet to get them for my Swords. Ug, I keep looking over to them and they're begging for some more nutrients :( I was just going to get the ones from Petsmart that come in the little box with 10 tabs in it. Although...I don't think that will last me between 5 planted tanks. And then I found this one: http://www.thatpetplace.com/flourish...&category=1742 I feel like I could trust the SeaChem brand since it's so widely used but maybe Gallium could provide some more insight with that?