Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2008, 06:50 PM   #1 
Vampure

New Beta VERY Active... Normal? Kinda Long (Sry)

I just got my first Betta (actually first fish period) and I am a lil worried by how he's behaving. I've read a lot of stuff and maybe it has me a lil jumpy. Anyway, I have an air stone, it's a one gallon tank, our water where I'm from is almost right at 7 so I'm not messing with it, the water is around 76 or 78 so it's not too cold. I use tap water but I use Start Right as my de chlorinator. Ok, to the problem. The air stone causes bubbles to rest on the surface, well he's attacking them randomly, which I don't guess is terrible but is it normal at all? He stays in the corner or near the edges going up and down it constantly. He occasionally rubs his side on the rocks on the bottom but I don't see anything that looks like a parasite. He has a fake plant in his tank which he has started attacking. He isn't eating but I did just get him yesterday so he may still be adjusting there. He kinda nibbled at it a little today briefly. Any advice would be very appreciated. I'm a lil paranoid more than anything I hope.
Vampure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:49 PM   #2 
Meatpuppet

i would turn the air pump off. bettas hate current and moving water and it could very well be causing too much current for a small tank. when i kept a betta in a one gallon, i too had an air stone and airpump and it pushed the betta around so much he couldnt stay still unless he was lying at the bottom.

and when he comes up to the surface he can be attacking the bubles or he could be coming up for air because they can breath atmospheric air.

hope this helps :)
oh can your tell us your water changing schedual?
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:28 PM   #3 
Vampure

I plan on changing it tomorrow. I forgot to get a turkey baster thing to see if it would work. I knew bout the breathing part (I read everything I could find this past weekend b4 I went and got one) but it was more like attacking them cause he charged from a few centimeters under the surface. Now that you mention the laying on the bottom, mine does that a lot unless he's actually swimming which he has been doing recently. But it's not leisurely, more like as fast as he can. He has a bridge thing in his tank that he sometimes rests on. The only thing that confuses me about the water possibly moving too much is he swims right up to the tube right under where the bubbles come out. I can't afford a bigger tank right now so I can turn the filter off every now and then to let it settle some. Would that be acceptable? And I still worry about the scratching it's body on the rocks. Any ideas there? I don't see any signs of disease or parasites.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:46 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Parasites aren't always visible. If he's rubbing himself against the tank walls or rocks and acting like he's on speed, it might be parasites.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:50 PM   #5 
Vampure

What should I do just to be on the safe side? Sometimes he's calm and easy going and others he looks like he's running NOS through his system. Suggestions for precautions that won't harm him if it's nothing would be very appreciated.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:03 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Someone else on the forum will have to advise you on what medication, if any, to use. I don't know much about medications. My bettas have never had parasites.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #7 
Vampure

I was reading and saw something bout using Quick Cure to help reduce stress because sometimes when they are very stressed (I did just get it yesterday and so that may have something to do with it since it's in a new environment) they will 'glance' against objects. I'm more inclined to go with this theory of stress (perhaps from denial) but also because there are times that it does nothing but relax and sit there or swim leisurely. I don't know. Watching it for now and continuing to get advice and suggestions from here is gonna be my course of action. Maybe someone else can tell me more (Although you have been a help w the may not be able to see em comment) about medicine or stress or both. Thank you both for helping me so far. Mo Mo thanks you'll too.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:18 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yes, he may just be stressed since you just got him. You could try something that reduces stress and just keep an eye on him. Also, it may take him a few days before he eats. This is normal. They can be picky eaters, too, so you may have to try a couple different foods. Good luck with Mo Mo.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #9 
Vampure

Yeah, he's not eating either. That kinda adds to the stress idea. I had half forgotten bout the not eating and it being related to stress. I'll still keep an eye on him but I feel better now. Thanks again to you'll. I'll try and post a pic of Mo Mo once he slows down some and I can get a pic. He's absolutely gorgeous. I've never seen one like him. Thank you'll.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:30 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Your welcome. I hope I helped a little bit. Welcome to the forum.