Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-16-2008, 07:26 PM   #1 
Beta Mom

What's wrong with my Beta

I hope someone can tell me what to do or what is wrong with my Beta.
I've had him almost 2 years he lives alone in a 1.5 - 2 gallon tank without a filtration system and fake plants. I do water changes 2 times a week. I've noticed over the past several weeks a condition that is worsening it appears as though something has taken a bite out of back (top edge mid back region). What would cause this?? Please help.
Thanks, Beta Mom
Beta Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #2 
katfish

Could be body rot. I don't know much about it, though...
katfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't know what could have caused it but you could try some Betta fix or Melafix and see if that helps him. Are your plants plastic? They can hurt themselves on plastic plants.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:22 PM   #4 
Beta Mom

Thanks, I was wondering if it could be the plastic plant. Since I wrote the post I went to Petsmart and they suggested Quick Cure, a total water change and putting him into a new container. Today I put him into an new 1 gallon vase with no stones or plants and 1 drop of Quick Cure. I will write a post again in a week to let you know his progress. :)
Beta Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:36 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sounds good. Good luck with your fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:30 AM   #6 
Flashygrrl

You might want to look into having a bigger tank for him to actually live in like a 2.5 gallon or something. Makes water changes easier (you can do partial changes instead of full) and even that little bit of a bigger size keeps the tank a little more stable than a 1-1.5 gallon will. Do you use a heater with him?

Also, instead of plastic plants they sell silk ones that I really like to use with everyone, not just just my bettas...those won't hurt your betta and you might find him sleeping or resting in them :)
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote