Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #1 
bstaffo1

Is my new betta sick?

I got a new female betta 4 days ago and added her to my community tank. I also have platty's and tetras. I tested the water and everything is normal. The temperature is about 75-77 degrees. Yesterday she started hiding in a decoration I have in the tank and she won't come out. I can see her and she just seems to be hanging out in there. Previously she was active and exploring her new tank. I'm worried that I'm going to come home and find her dead. Is she sick or adjusting to her new environment? What do you guys think??[/b]
bstaffo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:50 AM   #2 

would need to know how long your community tank has been running and what other fish are in the tank. Would also help if you could get fish store to test your water or do it yourself and post the results for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:56 AM   #3 
bstaffo1

My tank has been running since June 08. We had the fish store test the water, I will have to get the results later today when I get home from work. I do know that the ammonia was 0. Thanks for the reply!
Old 09-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #4 

Ammonia reading of zero is promising. Could be the betta is just getting settled and staking out his preference for resting place. Or without knowing what the tankmates are the possibilty exists that another fish or fishes are harassing it?
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #5 
bstaffo1

Ammonia, nitrate and nitrite were all zero. She wasn't being harrassed, she seemed to be the queen of the tank when I first put her in there. I came home to find her resting on the bottom of the tank. She was pink but is now whitish and she seems to be bent at the bottom of her tail. I'm wondering if maybe she got stuck somewhere and hurt herself. She's now just laying at the bottom breathing slowly. I don't think she's going to make it. Thanks for all of the advice.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:00 PM   #6 
ErinBBC

Some bettas get very stressed out with any tank mates at all, this could be what happened, or she could have been sick when you got her.

I'd put her in her own isolated tank ASAP in case she's carrying something contagious or being stressed by the other fish.

Then, do some online searches of reputable sites for info on her symtpoms and then treat them the best you can.
ErinBBC is offline   Reply With Quote