Who is is?

• Billy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reggie

Votes: 0 0.0%

I have an unknown killer on the loose!

916 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Microwe 
#1 ·
Ok so a few weeks ago we decided that it was time to get Billy (our Betta) a few friends. We picked up 1 red tailed shark aka Reggie and 2 Platties. After about 1 week one of the Platties kicked the bucket. Ok we thought hey it happens right? So I cleaned the tank and all that then fast forward a few weeks to this morning. We wake up and go see how the fam is doing. Billy swimming happy, check. Reggie doing what he does check,......but wait where the hell is Patty the Plattie? Oh she is floating under the bell with her rib cage opened up. So my question is this, would this more than likely be Billy or Reggie responsible for this horrid act?

Oh and we have a heater, filter, plants, and a 10 gallon tank.

#2 ·
It's hard to say. I'd say it'd be unusual for any fish that have previously been completely docile to just go bonkers and kill a tankmate like that. There was likely some unseen aggression. Did you notice the betta flaring at or chasing any of the other fish? What about the red tailed shark? Both are aggressive fish. The shark is usually more aggressive to his own species but I've seen them give the chase on other species as well. It's also possible that the platy died from some other cause and was simply nibbled on post mortem.

Just a heads up: that shark is going to outgrow your tank. They eventually reach about six inches and can be rather grumpy, so you'll need a bigger tank (I would say 30+ gallons) in the future.

#4 ·
iamntbatman said:
It's hard to say. I'd say it'd be unusual for any fish that have previously been completely docile to just go bonkers and kill a tankmate like that. There was likely some unseen aggression. Did you notice the betta flaring at or chasing any of the other fish? What about the red tailed shark? Both are aggressive fish. The shark is usually more aggressive to his own species but I've seen them give the chase on other species as well. It's also possible that the platy died from some other cause and was simply nibbled on post mortem.

Just a heads up: that shark is going to outgrow your tank. They eventually reach about six inches and can be rather grumpy, so you'll need a bigger tank (I would say 30+ gallons) in the future.
Thats another thing we think might have happened, originally we had two platties like i said so i wonder if perhaps they just couldnt make it and Billy or Reggie just decided to have a snack after they died.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.