Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Which one has the highest reading of Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate?
Tank 1 : Chris male DT (1g Kritter Keeper) 15 83.33%
Tank 2: Caroline female CT (1g vase) 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2013, 04:28 PM   #1 
Otterfun

Quiz on tanks with plants...

Just did a water test, so just for fun, I will let you vote which one has the highest reading of Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. All of them had 90%WC (because of substrate) on Tuesday night, and today test was at 1PM, Thursday, about 1.5 days...

Have fun...and feel free to post why you voted the way you did. Answers will be posted later this week.

Tank 1:
2 months old DT male, one java fern (next to the heater), an Italian val that melted and only 2 scrawny leaves are growing out, 1g Kritter Keeper

Tank 2:
1g vase with Amazon sword (3 leaves stem on left), an Annubias Compacta, the big plant in front of the heater, a stone of java moss, DHG in the front. It has a female CT Caroline, I think at least 3 months old and an amano shrimp:

Last edited by Otterfun; 05-09-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Bah! Meant to vote for the kritter keeper.

Anyways reason for choosing is because in the vase live plants are there - which if done correctly will help keep ammonia down, and creates more oxygen. However, live plants also break down and create ammonia...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #3 
Nibblez

I reckon in a tank with more plants, it generally need to have a higher amount of ammonia to process and grow, leads to more nitrites then to nitrates. My tank has a high amount of ammonia for the plants, probably need more plants in there. Just basing that thought on what my tank is going through now.
Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #4 
Otterfun

Final answer:
Tank 2. Caroline with more plants in the 1 gal tank has higher ammonia and nitrites.

I have no clue why Tank 1, though sparsely planted with java fern and a couple leaves of val has 0 ammonia & nitrite. Whereas Tank 2 has more than 0.25 ammonia and 0-25 Nitrite present. It almost seems like 2 is starting to cycle with readings in Ammonia and Nitrites.

Last edited by Otterfun; 05-19-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #5 
Deanna01

My guess would be that--with that large water change you did--the many rocks I see in tank 1 are holding more of the BB.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #6 
Nibblez

Did you use anything to jump start the BB to help cycle tank 2, cause if you are starting from scratch, i could explain the ammonia and nitrite despite the plants.
Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #7 
Otterfun

I did not use anything in either tanks.
along the lines of the rocks, yes, I do have more gravel and rocks in Tank 1, Kritter Keeper. Also , the internal surface that is in contact with water is larger for tank 1. I suppose all these point to more BB... or enough to keep 0 ammonia and nitrite... let me try a couple more days of testing and see if the trend continues...i have not bothered to test anymore since I do WC everyday.