Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #1 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

What Kind is He?

So the lady that I petsit for just got a new goldfish for her 45-50 gallon tank! She's only got 2 White Skirt Tetras (formerly GloFish that lost their color, one also has really bad cataracts) 3 Zebra Danios (1 long finned albino, 1 shorter finned and looks half way albino and one regular), and one Pleco of some sort which is only about 5-6 inches long and hides most of the day. So I'm not so much worried about the stocking for this tank but just about what kind of goldfish this is, he really is a cutie though.

Soon I'll actually be helping her clean this out (yay money!) so I've got to learn how to use a type of python hose system (won't be a python but the same idea). But I was just wondering of the type of this goldfish since I've got no ideas except comets.

The white skirt on bottom is the red one and it's got the cataracts on the other eye. Then the one in front is the green one, both lost colors and then the goldfish is in back there Cutie.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #2 
Skyewillow

I may be wrong, but just a colorful comet. I do believe the fancier types have longer finnage. Last fall I picked up 2 just like this one from the feeder tank at the grocery store.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:33 AM   #3 
Riverotter

Technically, it's a Common, not a Comet. Comets have much longer fins and a slightly longer body.
The darker color will fade and it will be an evenly gold color soon. They are all born ranging from dull brown to copper, but then turn gold sometime between 1 - 3 inches. Even a lot of the red and white ones are born dark, usually darker. so if you ever see a tri-color in the feeder tank, know that 99% of the time the black will fade. It's just their normal, natural color process.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:22 AM   #4 
djembekah

Also there does seem to be a stock problem. I'm 99% positive that all the fish in that tank need higher temps than the goldfish.
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:08 AM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Thanks for all the info guys, I know goldfish need cooler waters but it's not my say with this tank. It is running at 76 though if that helps lol, better than 80 right?

Anyway thank you for the clarification! We've got comet's in our goldfish pond at my house so it's nice to know there's a difference between common and comet
Old 06-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #6 
Riverotter

They are mislabeled and interbred a lot. Ideally, a Comet's tail should be at least the length of it's body, if not longer.

:) I've got a soft spot for them. I have a farm, and every spring rescue a few feeders, to live in the stock tanks and eat mosquito larvae and the bugs that fall in. In the fall, I sell them as decorative pond fish, because by then they've grown a lot!
I always try to pick out the comets, because they look so graceful as they grow.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh okay! So then the goldfish we have in our pond probably aren't Comet's then, they have the longer body but not all of their tails are long and flowy, possibly just hybrids then?

We started out with three fish, one orange one white and one black and now have koi patterns all over. Are goldfish literally only supposed to be gold when they grow up or do we not actually have goldfish in our pond?! O.O The biggest one I've seen was about 9-11 inches in length at least from what I could see from the "shoreline" and that's not including tail length which was only about 3 inches more.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #8 
Skyewillow

they can be gray or white too. I had a 6" white one a few years ago, I raised from a 1" feeder.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

That's what I figured but because he said that the color would fade from the brown and turn to gold so do they turn colors as they get older? Or is that just a certain type of goldfish? Yeah I've got no clue when it comes to goldfish except they are like surface vacuum cleaners when it comes to feeding time and they require colder water lol
Old 06-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #10 
Fenghuang

I second Rivertrotter. We have one that is about the same size that could be his/her identical twin. S/he came from Petsmart as a $0.26 feeder (the lady was kind enough to let me pick them). I believe most of these goldfish grow out of the brown.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote