Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #1 
resa

Exclamation sick fish

i need help determining what's killing my fish and why are they missing fins...i have a marigold swordtail and a pineapple swordtail I have lost 3 platys they had lost some of their rear fins... my swordtail is barely moving around and losing dorsal fin and fins in the rear....my other series tail is moving around just fine but some of his great fins are missing to.....i have quarantined them... I have 2 female betta and a variatus red tail left in the tank...Can someone please help me will post pics when I take them
resa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:33 AM   #2 
Flapmon

Sounds like severe fin rot.
Flapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:32 AM   #3 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Sorry to hear about your fish :( It could very well be a bad case of fin rot. Please answer as many of these questions as possible so that someone can try to help figure out what's wrong with them.

1. Size of tank?

2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia?
b. Nitrite?
c. Nitrate?
d. pH, KH and GH?
e. Test kit?

3. Temperature?

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)?

5. How long the aquarium has been set up?

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants?
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom?
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors?

9. a. Filtration?
b. Heater?

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used?
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long?

11. a. Water change schedule?
b. Volume of water changed?
c. Well water, tap water, RO water?
d. Water conditioner used?
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed?

12. Foods?
How often are they fed?

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms?
b. Appearance of poop?
c. Appearance of gills?

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis?
b. What meds were used?

15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.

Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/t...#ixzz2Vtlng0LK
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #4 
resa

pics n answers

takin a while to upload pics usin my tablet...I'm posting several pics once done I will answer questions
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #5 
resa

takin lots of time
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #6 
resa

last pics...I know their not good pics but I tried.......a swordtail was found dead this morning.....so I'm down to...2 ct female bettas, 1 swordtail, 1 variatus redtail...

10 gallon tank....feed 2x a day...freshwater aquarium, tank set up since 5/31/13 same day I bought all the fish....left fish in the bag I brought them home in and set that bag in the tank for a while...no live plants...fake plants attached to the fake logs are hollow.....no heater.......(out of stock when I was shopping)...temp 72 f....aqua culture air pump with oxygen stone....using gravel, aqua tech with bio filter 5-15gallon.....no lighting used.....fish are in sunlight from the time the sun rises til it falls again....last water change was last Thursday 100% bc fish died so changed all water...want to do water change today but want input on how to go about doing it....using tap water, using tetra easy balance (weekly) and tetra aqua safe (monthly)....
abnormal signs are all fish have fins missing.....I cacummed gravel and washed with hot water when I did last water change....poop looks like a tan string....swordtail looks like something is growing on him like the swordtail that died and its white bubbly....just found in tank that looks like peeled skin....its slimy....not the same texture as food on bottom of tank....it kinda looks like what might be growing on the swordtail...variatus redtail and the juvenile betta

alkaline 8.4, total alkaline 300, hardness 0 (very soft) , nitrate 0, nitrite 0, ammonia 3.0 (harmful) using jungle quick dip for ammonia and jungle quick dip 5 in 1 strips...
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2013, 12:50 PM   #7 
resa

hopefully u can see what's on the swordtail
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #8 
resa

the swordtail has died.... I'm down to my last 2 bettas... I picked up jungle brand...lifeguard all in one treatment...as well as aqua culture betta care kit...which includes premeasured tablets which says makes tap water safe for bettas.....should I use these new products in conjuction with the other products I have???????, I have emptied the tank and cleaned it with straight hot water....the bettas are now in a 1 gallon bowl with no water treatments or nething.....I'm waiting on advice before I make my next move.....but they been in that bowl about 5 hours now
Old 06-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #9 
BettaNubRandyLove

put the fungus clear in. if it doesn't work then it's probably something else. I'd try AQ salt. Keep the water extremely clean.
BettaNubRandyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #10 
resa

Question pics if my juv female betta

we emptied tank yesterday....thoroughly cleaned tank and rocks.....filed it up...turned on filter...put in water conditions tablets in and the all in one sick meds in the tank (lifeguard all in 1 treatment) let tank sit for 13 hours and put my girls back in it.....the rocks are still in there but decor had been removed.....I'm uploading pics of my juv and the baby.......What I want to know is if someone recognizes what's growing on the juv female and why the "baby" still has stripes instead of color....the baby looked like this when I bought her I just thought she would have grown into some color by now

problems upgrading pics from phone...I have to Bluetooth then to tablet....pics will be up momentarily