Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2008, 11:41 PM   #1 
appstate

New fish in a dorm room

Hi all!

I am a new betta owner and loking for some advice. i bought my betta recently, after i had my tank set up and running. i didnt, however, think about the room temp. in my dorm and of course then rushed to buy a heater. he's a very small fish >1 inch, in a 1.5 gallon tank. the room temp is about 75, and the heater (for a 2 gallon tank) should be here by the end of the week.

In the mean time, what can i do to keep him comfortable? I dont want to stress him out with constant water temp changes, but im alternating putting in fresh conditioned warm water and using microwaved water from his tank to keepp the water warm.

at the most im gone for about 3 or 4 hours at a time. is there anything i can do to keep him from stressing out in the room temp water? will he be ok through the week? thanks in advance for your suggestions.
appstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:10 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

If your room temperature stays around 75, he should be ok until you get your heater.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:33 AM   #3 
iamntbatman

I would think that adding warm water and mircowaved tank water like that would be doing more harm than good, as it means the fish has pretty much constant temperature fluctuations. 75 degrees is certainly not ideal, but I'd just leave it until you can get the heater.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:36 AM   #4 
Haeclark

ya Im not sure how healthy that is for beta to microwave + add warm/ fresh water constantly...might stress him out constantly messing with water like that. Try to place a good lamp next to him to help warm the water. My tanks light keeps my 2.5 gal tanks at a constant 78-80 degree temp.
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:57 AM   #5 
Flashygrrl

Don't rely on the lamp either because you turn it off at night and the tank temp drops again (and no, you can't leave it on). 75 will be ok for a couple of days...
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote